Traditional Beef Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfgar4

Senior Cook
I decided that I should finally do the most traditional DO meal going - beef stew. So I looked up a number of beef stew recipes and settled on one that sounded pretty traditional. I did modify it one little bit by adding biscuits on the top.

Everything turned out very well, but I did learn a couple of interesting things. The beef stew recipe calls for cooking the beef in water until it's tender and then adding the veggies. Well, I decided to just throw everything in all at once. That was a mistake, because by the time everything was cooked and tender, the veggies were soooo tender that they all but disintegrated. Now I understand that you add the veggies after the beef is tender so that you have veggies to eat when the stew is ready to be served. I also should have removed some of the liquid from the stew before adding the biscuit dough. When I dropped the dough in, it just kind of sank out of sight (of course, there were no veggies to hold the dough up!) and soaked up alot of the liquid. If I had removed some liquid, the dough would have just sat ontop of the beef and veggies.....well, the beef anyway. But the biscuits did cook well and did taste like biscuits, so it turned alright.

This would have been what I would consider the closest thing I've had to a failure. But since Jenny and I both had two bowls, I guess it wasn't so bad. It tasted wonderful, and if the veggies had been normal it would have been awesome.

It was an interesting meal, and I'm glad we did it. It felt good to cook again with the DO's. This meal really showed us how much better food tastes coming out of Do's.

Beef Stew

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1-2 pounds stew meat
  • 6 potatoes, cut into chunks
  • 1 cup baby carrots
  • 1 cup celery in 1 inch pieces
  • 1 onion
  • 1 package McCormicks beef stew mix
  • 1 package McCormicks beef and herb gravy mix
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • water
PREPARATION:

I use a 6-quart Dutch oven over ready hot coals. Put the beef in enough water to cover the meat, and put the lid on the Dutch oven and cook until the beef is tender. Add potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion, and cook until potatoes and carrots are tender.

Last put in the gravy mixes and stir until mixed well. You may want to add more water if desired. Simmer for about ten minutes. Take Dutch oven off of coals and serve.
Servings: 6-8
Preparation time: 40 minutes

Attachments

• DC Beef Stew6.jpg
    DC Beef Stew6.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 241
  • DC Beef Stew8.jpg
    DC Beef Stew8.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Yeah, even though the veggies disintegrated, the stew was really tasty. I'm looking forward to having some leftovers for lunch.

I did forget to mention in the original post that it should cook for about 1 3/4 to 2 hours at roughly 350 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom