Use & Care of Cast Iron Cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
Use & Care of your Natural Finish Lodge Cast Iron Cookware
Your new cookware will last a lifetime with proper care and seasoning. Seasoning is the process of allowing oil to be absorbed into the iron, which creates a natural non-stick, rustproof finish.
It is actually a very simple process. Here's how to do it:

1. Wash new cookware with hot, soapy water and a stiff brush.

2. Rinse and dry completely.

3. Apply a thin coat of melted vegetable shortening (i.e. Crisco) to the entire surface (including lid if applicable), both inside and out.

4. Line the lower oven rack with aluminum foil (To catch any drippings), and preheat oven to 350° F.

5. Place cookware upside down on the upper oven rack, and bake for one hour.

6. Turn oven off and let cookware cool before removing from oven.

7. Store in a cool, dry place. If you have a lid for your utensil, place a folded paper towel between the lid and the utensil to allow
air to circulate.

8. NEVER wash in dishwasher.

9. If your utensil develops a metallic smell or taste or shows signs of rust, never fear. Wash with soap and hot water, scour off rust, and reseason.

After use: Clean using a stiff brush and hot water only (do not wash in dishwasher). Towel dry immediately and apply a light coating of
vegetable oil to cookware while still warm.

My only question - I thought you NEVER use soap on cast iron. If I'm wrong, I would love to hear about it. I clean mine with hot water only and lightly coat with Crisco.

Use of Soap

I think that Rainee was speaking of the initial washing of the Cast Iron. There's a protective wax coating that has to be removed before cooking with the dutch oven. From many sources that I've read, this is the only time that you can use soap. After that it'd just ruin your seasoning and make your future meals taste soapy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom