Veg outdoor cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nasika

Assistant Cook
What can I cook outdoor if my fiends are vegetarians?

Grilled vegetables are boring :bounce:

Any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Vegetable fritters. Reheat some home-made thick and spicy vegetable soup. Pan fry some tofu, add it to some pasta with a tomato sauce, some mushrooms and various dried herbs of your choice. Bake some potatoes in the coals of your fire or bbq, top with some chunky salsa and crumbled cheese such as feta. Tofu satay sticks. A frittata.

Most of these things you could either buy partially prepared or make them yourself before going and just do the actual cooking while camping.

Any advice?

Do your friends think they're boring? I *love* grilled veggies. I like to put marinate them in balsamic vinaigrette, then serve them over salad greens. I also chop them finely and mix them with rice or couscous.

My grill has a pan burner on it; sometimes I use that to saute peppers, onions, and zucchini with garlic, olive oil, and thyme.

You could grill bread and make various types of bruschetta.

HTH.

Mushrooms with garlic and butter in tin foil. Various antipasti are also good, as GotGarlic explained. Simply grill peppers, zucchini, onions, garlic, etc and drizzle olive oil mixed with herbs over the top. I dont think thats boring at all!

Make a pizza out of those grilled vegetables, using a Boboli, charred a bit on the grill, (for lines and warmth), then add some sort of cheese and the grilled vegetables.

Baked potato skins....

Napoleons with thick, grilled slices of butternut squash, cheese, and potato slices.

Well, VB - I don't know if Boboli is easy to find in the Republic of Moldova where Nasika lives ... but, I agree with the idea ... a flat-bread pizza with grilled veges! YUM!!! That is, if her friends eat cheese (some vegetarians don't).

I have made little pizzas from wheat pitas topped with olive oil, a smear of baba ganoush, diced tomatoes, sliced black olives, artichokes and feta cheese - heated up on the grill until the pita is toasted and the cheese melts.

Personally, I don't find grilled vegetables boring at all! But, I must admit they would be better with a side dish of roasted leg of lamb! :rolleyes:

Besides it all depends on how you grill those vegies. Some good zukini, bell peppers, add the mushrooms, some balzamik vinegar, it will be great.

Any advice?

OMG what kind of veggies are you grilling and how are you doing to come up w/ something "boring"?? A skewer of red peppers/white onion wedges/green peppers basted w/ evoo and left on the grill long enough to begin charring around the edges is one of the reasons to get out a grill! It's pretty, fun, and oh-so tasty! A little s & p, pop a cork of something fruity, and, man, I'm in heaven.

Maybe Nasika means that to only serve a vegetarian grilled vegetables is repetitive-type boring. We all like a bit of variety in our diets, and to only serve your friends the same ol', same ol' would be boring, irrespective of how tasty the dish in its own right may be.

Well, Nasika, how do you like all the suggestions? What vegetables do you enjoy eating? Perhaps there are ways to use them in some different ways. When my son was vegetarian for a couple of years we tried a variety of recipes, including ones using eggplant and porcini mushrooms more or less as a substitute for meat. We used to make mini pizzas substituting the porcinis for pizza crust sometimes as a variation. You can also mix up chopped vegetables into a patty and serve like a hamburger, complete with all the fixings.

OMG what kind of veggies are you grilling and how are you doing to come up w/ something "boring"?? A skewer of red peppers/white onion wedges/green peppers basted w/ evoo and left on the grill long enough to begin charring around the edges is one of the reasons to get out a grill! It's pretty, fun, and oh-so tasty! A little s & p, pop a cork of something fruity, and, man, I'm in heaven.

Kinda like Vege shish kebabs?

stick some tomato on there as well

I do a lot of outdoor cooking for vegetarians. you could make your own veggie burgers (i'm sure I posted this before, but I'll go dig in my blog and find the recipe if I can) if you're smoking you can smoke portabellos, if you're not smoking you can make stuffed mushrooms on the grill (i like cream cheese, dill, chives, green onions) add a little liquid smoke if you're on a gas grill.

veg kababs are never a failure, and the meat eaters are usually just as excited to get their hands on them. I primarily use red peppers, mushrooms, onion, those little purple potatoes, squash, and cherry tomatoes, but do whatever you have on hand.

making a fresh pizza and cooking it over coals is a real treat for everyone.

grilled avacado is also tasty. you can also grill fruits by coating them with a little oil. peaches, bananas, pears, and apples.

I usually Grill vegetables like mushrooms, asparagus, zucchini's, onions, tomatoes... Then i add it to a bowl of pasta with garlic , oil and salt. The pasta picks up the grilled flavor and it taste great.

Also, when grilling veggie burgers, ill usually get them cooked in the oven first, then just toss them on the grill last few minutes to get the grilled flavor. Some varieties fall apart on the grill, or stick, so by pre cooking them, it usually prevents that from happening.

Marinate portabello mushrooms with garlic,olive oil ... Grill them, then last few minutes add spinach fried with garlic and oil on top and melt some mozzarella cheese on top of that . Eat on a nice roll.

Back
Top Bottom