Veggie Side Dish - Hobo Style?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KathyInKY

Assistant Cook
I would like to cook some veggies on the campfire to go along with a pork roast that I'll be stringing up and cooking next to the campfire. I'm also going to be cooking some flat bread (for the first time) and I don't want to have a ton of work to do on the veggies so I thought that a simple hobo-type cooked veggie would be perfect.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Kathy

Definitely thick sliced potatoes, some sliced carrots and sliced zucchini with some seasoning wrapped in foil would work.

Shunka - that was my combo too except with the addition of sliced onions. Put in a packet of aluminum foil with a couple ice cubes cubes to steam everything.

My 1st option would be to cook everything in a pot so everything could brown and caramelize with just salt, pepper, garlic powder or fresh garlic.

Take a bottle of Italian Vinaigrette and a disposable aluminum pan with you. Put your vegies in a Ziplock bag, dump in some of the salad dressing, and toss. Put a big piece of foil in the pan for better insulation, spoon vegetables in and spread out, fold foil over the top, and put over indirect heat.
Or put the vegetables in a well-oiled iron skillet and cover with lid. They will take longer to cook this way, but won't burn so easily.
For vegies, I would suggest sliced potatoes, baby carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and brussels sprouts. These can be varied according to your preference, of course. If you have any bacon left from breakfast, crumble it over the top.

I would also consider roasting some foil-wrapped sweet potatoes in the coals.
They're delicious with pork, and only need a bit of butter mashed into them, as you would a baked potato.

You could also make fried apples...Just peel a few apples, slice and put in an iron skillet with butter. When the butter starts to melt, add sugar and seasonings (cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice) to your taste. Raisons and/or a shot of rum (preferably Myers) are optional.

*Important! If you use the rum, add it at the very last, and be sure to take the pan off the fire before you add it.
Alcohol is extremely flamable, and I don't want you getting burned!

Last edited:
Instead of ice cubes you could cut up a couple of tomatoes. They are fairly wet, so is the zucchini.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom