Wanna help me with my camping menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HappyAvocado

Senior Cook
our annual group camping trip is coming up, and i am again in charge of the food ( i dont mind at all:)). there will be about ten people in our group and i will be organizing food for breakfasts and dinners for four nights. we might stay an additional night, in which case i will need to plan anothe rdinner/breakfast.

so far my menu is as follows...

DAY ONE:
dinner: salmon, lemon, butter and dill cooked in foil pouches over the campfire. couscous (cause you only need to add boiling water) with a pre-prepared spice mixture.

DAY TWO:
breakfast: bagels and smoked salmon with cucumbers, cream cheese, onions.
dinner: assorted sausages and rolls. a big pot of beans made from assorted canned beans and a pre-prepared spice mixture.

DAY THREE:
breakfast: buckwheat pancakes from a mix and breakfast sausages.
dinner: grilled bacon wrapped pork loin and instant mash.

DAY FOUR:
breakfast: grilled ham steaks and potatos with onions and butter and rosemary cooked in the cast iron pot.
dinner: grilled marinated flank steak, peppers and onions in the cast iron pot, tortillas on the grill, avocados:D.

DAY FIVE:
breakfast:bacon, egg and cheese burritos. bacon egg and cheese mixture cooked in my cast iron pot, tortillas heated on the grill.

For veggies with the dinners i was going to bring a huge container of mixed baby greens and a good dressing and some assorted summer squashes, peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, eggplant to grill. also some melons for breakfasts.

anyone have any ideas that will add to my existing menu, or any tips about how to make these campfire foods better? i am at a loss as to what to make for deserts, one night will be smores for sure but i dont know what else. i have tried a few dutch oven cakes in the past but i was not impressed! any ideas?

Deserts:
Take one whole peach for each person. Wash and dry, do not peel or cut. Take plain pie crust and cut to fit tightly around entire peach, closing all the seams. Place the peaches into a baking pan and put on a covered grill. Watch closely till the crust turns nice and brown. Remove and place one peach on each plate, cut in half and remove the pit. Sprinkle generoulsy with brown sugar and butter, or maple syrup, or any other flavored syrup...TADA Peach Pie!

Unwrap one large angel food cake, cut in 3 slices horizontially. Mix together 1 small package vanilla instant pudding and pie filling, 1 - 20 ounce can of crushed pineapple with juices, and 1 cup of cool whip. Layer between slices and on top and serve with fresh fruit.

ooh, i like the sound of the peach one. i am assuming that you use premade pie crust, does that come frozen.. like the kind that you can buy already pressed into pie pans? i have always made my own, but i cant see that working out very well in the middle of the woods, hah hah!

Grilled Pasta Salad

4 med. zucchini and/or yellow squash sliced
1 med. spanish onion, halved and cut into lg chunks
1 envelope Lipton Savory herb with garlic soup mix
(or u can use Italian herb or Golden onion soup mix)
1/4 c olive or veg. oil
8 oz ziti pasta cooked and drained
3/4 c diced roasted red peppers
1/4 c red wine vinegar or apple cider or white

On heavy duty foil arrange onion and squash brush with the soup mix and the oil that has been mixed together. Grill about 5 min. In large bowl toss the cooked pasta vegtables and roasted peppers and vinegar. serve warm or room temp.

Pineapple Doughnut dessert
5 cake doughnuts
3 tbsp butter soft
2/3 c packed brown sugar
1 can sliced pineapple drained
10 maraschino cherries

cut doughnuts in 1/2 horizontally, spread with butter , each packet place two doughnuts halves side up on a 12 inch heavy duty foil. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp brown sugar
top with pineapple slice place cherry in the middle seal foil tightly
grill for 2-4 minutes or until heated thru.

Sounds like a great menu. When camping, I try to get as much cutting and mixing and measuring done at home. For example, for pancakes, I'll make a mixture at home, and at the camp, just add milk. Or I will make the mix if I'm just camping for a couple of days. Sometimes, I'll parboil chicken thighs or ribs, chill, wrap and get it ready for grilling on the day I need it.
Have fun!

HA, your menu sounds fabulous. I want to come camping with you. :) Here is a recipe for jambalaya that is made in one pot. I prepackage the spices, meats, and veggies to make preparation easier.

Camp Jambalaya

2 California bay leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon gumbo file powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 large onion chopped
2 stalks celery, finely sliced
2 bell peppers, chopped
6 oz. thick sliced ham, diced
1 pound little smoked sausages, cut each sausage in half
4 tablespoons oil
2 cups converted rice
4 cups chicken broth

Combine the first eight ingredients together in a small bowl. Prepare vegetables and meats as directed. Heat the oil, sauté the meats for about 5 minutes, then add the vegetables and spices, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the raw converted rice and cook for 5 more minutes. Add the broth and bring mixture to boil, stirring well. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes until rice is tender, but not mushy. Remove bay leaves before serving.

Forgive me for being plebian, but I would have to have burgers one of those nights, made from good ground chuck, round or sirloin, and wrapped with bacon, fresh sliced tomatoes, campfire potatoes (sliced thin and cooked in bacon grease with diced onions until tender and crispy), assorted condiments, sweet/sour sliced cucumbers & onions, and grilled corn on the cob. You could also slice some sweet onions about 1/2-5/8 inch thick, skewer horizontally, brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until caramalized, remove from skewers, and use to top burgers.
For desert, you could do an iron skillet peach cobbler, with canned peaches seasoned to your taste, and store bought bisquits. (Grands are best.)

If fishing is on your agenda, you could try Trout on a Stick. Hubby went fishing/camping over the weekend. This was part of his supper. We love these little brook trout. We think they taste so much better than the big boys!

Attachments

• tos 5.JPG
    tos 5.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 410
Ok if I must say there is nothing more important then a fresh pot of brewed coffee on an open fire. And don't forget the bacon and eggs. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Good! :)

Ooo that makes me want to go camping again, its been so long. My prob is conning hubby into it

We make a dessert in which you place a banana cut lengthwise on a piece of foil then put some pieces of cut up mars bar and a couple of marshmallows on top, wrap lightly and place in the hot coals for about 15 minutes. YUM:)

Your menu already sounds fabulous. My husband and I never cook over a campfire. Since we have a motor home, with a built in microwave, I always preprepare frozen entrees at home and just nuke at meal times. This way, we technically have homemade foods. Of course, this doesn't work for breakfast, so mostly we will have bacon or sausage, eggs, and English muffins. I don't actually "cook" in the motor home, but rather use a George Foreman grill outdoors or an electric fry pan outdoors, and, of course, the inside microwave. Desserts are not always a must, but I will often bring along something baked at home, ice cream, and Entermanns. Although I love to cook at home, when camping mealtimes are not lengthy prep affairs for me. We still eat basically the same as at home, but the real work has already been done at home. My husband likes to say we don't really "camp", but go RVing. So, where is this camping group headed? Hope you all have a great time.

omelettes ala ez for camping

take some ziplock bags freezer small ones add two eggs and all the ingredients for an omelette . Use a large pot of boiling water and drop in for 2 minutes and wa la everyone has there own omelette ez no dishes great for camping. may have to adjust a bit to time but generally around 2-3 minutes

I remember many years ago when we went camping I would triple wrap in foil a chuck roast with raw onions, garlic and bellpeppers. I would place the pkg securely under the hood jammed between the engine block and manifold after an at least a three hour trip to the site and "pitching" the tents I would surprise the crowd with a hot roast, It sure beat trying to cook after the long trip.
I don't even know if the modern cars have a suitable space, but if they do the roast will be a winner..
Good luck...
EXPAT

Camping veggies

Shake your vegggies, zucchini, eggplant, sweet onion,
Peppers,in a plastic bag containing Balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, dried oregano, salt pepper, garlic. Place on grill. Serve with grilled pizzas and your favorite cheese.
I even roast them in the oven at home at 400 degrees.
They are good with pasta and a can of fire roasted tomatos.

For potatos use medium red skins quartered. Place in bag with same seasonings as above but add some paprika and roast.

Fireside pies Get pie irons in a camping store. Butter inside and place a slice of sandwich bread in one side of iron top with pie filling. Place another slice of bread on top and close iron and place over fire. You can also make pizzas using your favorite ingredients.

You sound very energetic to plan all those meals. Take me with you. I miss camping.

Back
Top Bottom