What Size DO for Baking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfgar4

Senior Cook
I see a lot of recipes that I'd love to try in my dutch ovens, but the recipes call for a certain size of baking dish/pan. For example, a cake recipe that requires a 9 X 13 pan. What size dutch oven would be used in place of the baking dish? A 12" ( 6 quart ) or a 10" ( 4 quart )? I'm never sure which one to use. Is there some type of conversion chart or method that can be used to make the change? I hate just guessing and not having the right size for what I'm trying to bake.

I see a lot of recipes that I'd love to try in my dutch ovens, but the recipes call for a certain size of baking dish/pan. For example, a cake recipe that requires a 9 X 13 pan. What size dutch oven would be used in place of the baking dish? A 12" ( 6 quart ) or a 10" ( 4 quart )? I'm never sure which one to use. Is there some type of conversion chart or method that can be used to make the change? I hate just guessing and not having the right size for what I'm trying to bake.

The surface area of the 9x13 pan is 117 square inches (13 times 9 = 117)
The SA of a 12" round DO is 113 square inches (radius x radius x pi or 6x6=36 x 3.14 = 113). So I'd go with the 12" round DO to approximate the surface area which will result in a cake that's about the same thickness.

The surface area of the 9x13 pan is 117 square inches (13 times 9 = 117)
The SA of a 12" round DO is 113 square inches (radius x radius x pi or 6x6=36 x 3.14 = 113). So I'd go with the 12" round DO to approximate the surface area which will result in a cake that's about the same thickness.

If the DO is heavier and thicker (cast iron?) then you have to compensate for the difference in heat transference rates. Consider lowering the baking temp by 25ºF

Wow! Never thought I'd have to be a mathematician to enjoy Dutch oven cooking! :)
Just be glad you don't have to convert it to metric! My DOs are metric, half my baking pans are Imperial, and the others are metric. And then I have those that are quarts/cups...:LOL:

!2" aluminum works well
39817-albums888-picture5172.jpg
for baking. Bottom right.

Last edited:
Aluminum works great for acidic food like tomatoes, lemon,etc. Makes great rice in the oven, corn bread, rolls,and cake. On the plus side, you don't have to season it. I do think for cakes, a 8" would work best. IMO.

Back
Top Bottom