What's your favorite camp meal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Camping was our vacations growing up and I have great memories of my parents, brother and I with our fresh made sticks and hotdogs over the fire but I have to say the best camp meal I had was with my ex boyfriend( a chef) who made shrimp scampi over the fire at our beach camp. He also made us omeletes every morning :)

I agree with you Cheryl, everything tastes better in the great outdoors! That is such a great point. I even cook stuff outside at home to make it taste better. We use the Dutch oven to make breakfast over charcoal sometimes on Sunday mornings. Then we eat at the picnic table.
And...the grill gets a work-out!

The nearest H and I got to camping was a tent in the garden.We both liked to be near our hair dryers then
img_1180312_0_7e9c834744611b3ab702af3869d27c12.jpg

Best meal was walking to the horse mushroom field, picking a load and frying them over wood.

Favorite camp breakfast, pancakes or biscuits and sausage. Not really a coffee person. Favorite dinner is fresh speared, blackened black grouper and grilled lobster. The Keys have campgrounds with boat ramps. Sadly more and more areas are becoming no spearfishing zones.:mad:

That all sounds lovely...but I would need coffee ;)

My favorite camp fire time was when my sister and I had a Girl Scout troop. Each summer we took them camping and taught them how to start and build a fire so they could cook their own food. I loved the look on their faces when they succeeded. They had to do everything from scratch. Prepare the food and then cook it over the campfire.

In the cabin there was an old Army pot belly stove to heat the bunk room at night. They also had to learn how to build a fire in that and then clean out the ashes in the morning.

Teaching and watching kids learn a new skill can give you a great sense of satisfaction. :angel:

This is a fun thread. Haven't been camping in ages, hubby's not big on nature.

Lets see..

Breakfast must be eggs, bacon, fried tomato etc. made on the weber and freshly baked pot bread.
Moer koffie (trekker coffee) made on the fire with creamer. I only like creamer when I camp, it goes with the camping experience I guess.

Lunch must be either fish we caught that day or game if we go hunting. Cooked simply with whatever herbs and spices we have.
Maybe some grilled sweetcorn and ice cold beer. I only drink beer when we camp, not sure why.

Dinner must be grilled meat or fish again with pap made in a potjie pot on the fire with sweetcorn cut into it and relish for dipping.
And some Amarula on ice to sip by the camp fire.

I also love foraging for any edible plants to cook with all 3 meals. dandelion greens, purslane, clovers, amaranth and berries etc.

Last edited:
Just one thing about camping I don't like. I can't squat to save my life so going for a tinkle is a nightmare lol! I always end up weeing on my shoes, falling over or getting injured. I got up one night and had to go, felt like my back teeth were floating. Ended up digging a hole, thinking I was very clever. Didn't think that the hole might not be big enough. Ended up with a wet bum problem and no loo roll. Not so easy to drip dry when your whole backside is wet. Ended up waving my bum in the air, giving the night critters full view of my behind!

Holiday Inn? That's not camping, you sound like my sister now lol! As long as she has room service , a shower and a running loo she'll camp. No bugs allowed either.
Rolling my eyes, trying to anyway ;p

G'day I am just a new boy and here in Australia we love to roast beef or chicken in our camp ovens.
love to bake bread and in the mornings its usually bacon and eggs - lunch is usually sandwiches .
some are lucky and catch fish but we usually eat the bait - thats why we use prawns.

have a great day

regards

peter

Last edited:
welcome peter!

i don't know how i missed this thread!

lol, or bolas' picture. nice 'do and threads.

i have so many favourite camping foods, from hot dogs on a stick, to clam chowder cooked in the can (who knew about bpa? :ermm:), to london broil that squishes along in a plastic bag in your backpack, getting the marinade/rub deep into the meat before it's cooked over the raked out coals of the campfire on a small backpacking grill. oh, and pre-baked potatoes wrapped in foil that are reheated by shoving directly into the same coals.

i once made a couple of london broils this way on a caneoing trip (down the river to aintree :huh:). when we had set up camp, i'd forgotten to bring something to slice the steaks on, so i used the cardboard that holds 4 six packs of beer together in a case as a cutting board.
when it had gotten good and dark out (and we had bellies full of beer and food), one of the guys mentioned that he'd liked the steak so much he wanted more. he came back to the campfire with a plate and started gnawing away, mentioning that those last pieces of steak were a little tough and chewy but still delicious.
i then realized that we had finished all of the steak a while earlier, and he had cut into the meat juice soaked cardboard!

talk about a good marinade, lol! :chef:

oh, btw, even though they're not real potato chips but rather some sort of alien invention, one of the best things to bring in a backpack are pringles "potato" chips. because of the way they're stacked in the tubular container, they keep their shape even after days of being jostled around in a pack. regular chips or other snacks become a rough sort of breadcrumb snack. pringles have survived many trips on my back from new hampshire, ny state,nj, pennsylvania colorado, new mexico, various parts of the appalachian trail, and across the yucatan.

Last edited:
We camped out a lot when I was a kid (remember, military, often in the station wagon, on the road). My favorite on-the-coals meal was a chicken, halved, seasoned with sage. BUT i cannot say enough for those fast breakfasts. Bread toasted over coals and buttered, scrambled eggs, bacon or ham, all dnoe over the coals. Yummmmy yum yum

great story - your beer must be majic to let cardboard taste like beef steak.

we do a lot of meat and fish dishes wraped in foil and putting in the hot ashes.

great when some like tomato and onions and others dont.

another camp tucker is crepes sprinkled with sugar , lemon juice or just golden syrup. using egg powder the complete recipe can be made uppacked in plastic bags and only water need be added - let stand for half an hour and then cook

another great camp food is casserole and many of us make this in a Dream Pot or thermal cooker - no power required - the food is par cooked then put into the insulated container where it continues to cook for up to ten hours.

we have a motor home now but had a caravan and camped for years - the Dream Pot is beaut because a meal can be cooking in one as we drive along and ready to eat when ever we decide to stop.

the same cooker is also great for keeping food either hot or cold -

kind regards

peter

Last edited:
Haven't camped in centuries, but my all-time fave was fresh caught Lake of the Woods walleye fried in lots of butter.
+1 Shore lunch at LOW (anytime of day)! The cheeks were always fought over. I miss those days, but have a walleye fishing day planned at LOW in May with my cousins, their kids, and some grandkids. A family fishing derby and fish fry with an anticipated 100 (that's right) family members. Should be a fierce competition. One of my cousin's kids is a professional guide...I wonder if we will give him a handicap like they gave me when we played Scrabble at the Lake...

Last edited:
The same foil wrapped food we eat on camp outs sometimes get eaten on road trips. It is fun to be driving down the highway with your meal on the engine, and start to smell things right around lunch time. You can pull over anywhere and have a hot meal.:yum:

well i must say that if we in Australia only ate wht we caught we would be very very thin.

sure we give it a go - love to fish but never ever depend on a catch for a meal.

in our rivers , lakes and seas there must be a lot of fish BUT there is a lot of water between them out here.

in our shops we can buy "fresh" basa from Vietnam nile perch from Lake Victoria,Africa. New Zealand fish thats probably from China anyway and from our own country Flat Head tails for $60 per kilo.

imported "fresh" fish is cheap but our local farmed fish is almost the price of gold.

the usual fare camping is sausages , steak , chops , all of beef -lamb or chook.

salads in warmer weather and potatoes , peas , beans , pumpkin, onions and brussel sprouts in the cooler months.

most of these are also imported as well.

fruits are bananas ,apples , kiwi fruit from Greece, oranges from California
peaches , pears, apricots and the canned varieties are all from overseas now.

for a real wake up call at camp try Vegemiteon toast - thats very special here

have a nice day

just cooked our Hot Cross Buns

peter

Back
Top Bottom