What's your favorite camp meal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dutch Oven Chicken

Dutch Oven Chicken

1¼ hours | 15 min prep | SERVES 6

I cook this every year at deer camp

Ingredients
• 1 whole chicken, cut up
• 3-4 medium potatoes, cubed
• 1 large onion, quartered
• 3-4 carrots, diced
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• flour (for dredging)

•1 (8 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
• 1-12 oz.. can beer
• salt and pepper
• 1/4 cup oil

Directions

preheat oil in Dutch oven over hot coals.

dredge chicken in seasoned flour and brown in dutch oven

after chicken is brown add veggies,garlic.

add 1/2 the beer.

cover and place in oven for 30 minutes. add coals to top of oven as needed
after 30 minutes add the soup and cook another 30 minutes or until everything is done.

Salmon done over an open fire
Breakfast (sausages, bacon, eggs, etc. taste so much better outdoors!)
Burgers

For camping during hunting season there's usually four of us. It's now the only time we 'camp'.
All with big appetites.
This may sound like lots of work but it isn't:
A big pot of boiled potatoes. Another pot of par boiled carrots and onions.
A big pot of brown gravy made at home and kept on dry ice in the cooler until used. I usually make up about 2 gallons.
Some extremely quick-fry prime rib venison steaks/chops/tenderloins etc. The frying is really just to change the color as we all prefer wild game 'blue'.
I hedge my bets by bringing along frozen venison or elk or moose from previous hunting trips contributed by myself and the other hunters.
I bring along a few parted out' Canada geese and use the pieces in a big cassoulet.
Large china hot plates. Food all served up steaming hot with loads of bread and butter on the side. And mugs of Crown Royal or Hennessy's.
We bring along proper tables to eat and cook on. China plates. Sterling silver flatware. Glass drinking glasses. China coffee mugs.
Our intent is to live as civilly a hundred miles from nowhere as at our homes.
We pretty much always shoot something. That evening I'll quick fry some of the heart and liver and tenderloin. With a deer we'll eat everything. With an elk or moose we'll only get through some of it.
Then we'll draw straws to see who gets to take home the remainder of the organ meat.
Add this to a campfire comfortable folding chairs and good friends and it doesn't get any better.
We all spent our early young hunting years living 'wet-arsed' eating cold tinned beans and freezing standing around a fire we couldn't seem to get going.
Now we are 'gentlemen' hunters.
We don't even start the fire in the morning. We each make our own lunch for the next day the night before and we're out of the camp before sun-up. I usually boil a pot of water to which I add a couple of T's of BTB beef stock. Drop a large handful of uncooked macaroni into a thermos. Top up with the boiling hot BTB now beef broth/soup. Great for a hot drink at lunch and a good 'carbo-hit'.

What a fun read! I'd not seen this thread before. Himself and I camped before kids, and except for breakfasts we'd usually eat out. Camping, for us, was more a cheap form of lodging rather than a lifestyle. :LOL: There was this time in the Shenandoah Valley when we went into the tent wearing shorts and t-shirts and came out all dressed up - Himself in a suit and tie and I in a long dress.

Then we had kids, and took them camping. Not much changed, except for the fancy clothing. In a week's time, we probably ate supper at the camp only twice each trip out.

Then I became a Girl Scout leader. Everything was cooked out! Everything tasted gourmet! The girls learned to build fires, make a camping oven from an old 3# coffee can, and cook just about anything. Our all-time favorite food? Campfire Banana Boats. Bananas, marshmallows, chocolate - how can you not love it! :yum: We'd cut the stem off, slit the banana right through the skin and nearly all the way to the other side, then stuff with said marshmallows and chocolate pieces. Wrap each one in foil and toss it on top of the fire while you ate your supper. Finish your meal, fish your packet out of the fire, and try to be patient until it cooled off enough to open it up. It's been years since I've had one of those.

I ...I just love Camper Pies....By this time it was dark and we sat around the campfire and cooked our own little pies. Wow were they hot when they came out of the irons!...

"Hot pie iron, hot pie iron coming through!" is the cry that would go up around the fire when our daughter went camping with her second troop. I was a leader only through Brownies, and her new leader was a young, single woman who took our daughter and eleven other girls on a lifetime of adventures in eight years of scouts. I :heart: Jennifer to this day for all the experiences she gave our girl.

I have such good memories of camping - my parents took my brother and I all over the southwest on tent camping trips. Whenever my dad got a vacation from work, we went camping. I was in my teens when we stayed in a motel for the first time. :LOL:

Food was whatever we brought from home, my dad wasn't into fishing. But when we went with my grandparents, we always went fishing for our dinners. Whatever we had always tasted better to me in the great outdoors.

Last edited:
My favorite camping food? The breakfast buffet at the hotel...

:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO: That's my answer these days too.

In the old days, we did a lot of "camper" camping while water skiing. Those were some of the best days of my life with my young family. We often camped at Shaver Lake, and the campground was owned by Edison power company. Because of that, there was an electric outlet at every covered camp table. Most mornings I'd set my crock pot on the table and we'd come "home" from skiing at the end of the day to find chipmunks standing on their back legs smelling the crock pot. It sure was nice to have dinner all ready after a long day of water skiing!

I camped a lot in my teens and 20’s. I loved camping at the annual Winnipeg Folk Festival. Plenty of food stands with good stuff, along with fantastic music.

Nowadays, I'm also in the "breakfast buffet at the hotel" camp!

We've moved up to the "camping at the Holiday Inn" group, too! :LOL:

...my parents took my brother and I all over the southwest on tent camping trips...
My Dad refused to camp. He said he slept in a tent enough times when he was in the Army. My first time camping was with a guy buddy of mine when my girlfriend backed out of camping three days before we were supposed to leave! Since I was borrowing his tent and his girlfriend's brother's sleeping bags I asked if he wanted to go in her place. He said "sure" - he was in college and would be between his summer job and heading back to school. Worst. Vacation. Ever. He slept until noon, and we spent a lot of time driving backroads in the dark. Swore I would never go on vacation with a guy again, unless he was my hubby. So what do I do? I marry someone JUST like my buddy...sleeps until noon, drives at night. Can't win for losing! :LOL:

We just bought a pop-up camper to start taking trips with next year. Nothing too fancy, but it does have fridge, gas cooktop (no oven), and heater, including heated queen size beds.

I don't expect much dutch oven cooking though. Neither of us has any experience with it in a camp style setting, and to be honest, they are harder to use when you have nothing but soft woods for firewood. Putting pine coals on the lid for baking takes a lot of attention because the coals just don't last very long. Then too, for much of the summer, open fires are prohibited in much of the west, and the fire danger even gets bad enough that they don't allow charcoal. It's gas or nothing, and the camper has a gas grill that you hang on the outside wall for grilling.

:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO: That's my answer these days too.

In the old days, we did a lot of "camper" camping while water skiing. Those were some of the best days of my life with my young family. We often camped at Shaver Lake, and the campground was owned by Edison power company. Because of that, there was an electric outlet at every covered camp table. Most mornings I'd set my crock pot on the table and we'd come "home" from skiing at the end of the day to find chipmunks standing on their back legs smelling the crock pot. It sure was nice to have dinner all ready after a long day of water skiing!

Ha! That's hilarious about the chipmunks!

Shaver Lake is just above where my dad lives in Auberry, CA. I've been there, but we eat out or go back to his house for dinner ;) :LOL:

Kay...we were water skiiers back in the day, too...what wonderful memories! And a great way to work up a huge appetite. :) I'd probably break my neck if I tried it again these days. :ermm::LOL:

Have fun with your new pop-up camper, RP! Gosh, I really do miss camping whether it's in a tent or camper. We've even just used sleeping bags and built a rough lean-to for shelter back in the day. Good memories.

Last edited:
My dad was a great water skier back in the day. He even wore me around his neck when I was a toddler! This was back before life jackets were required.

I was a horrid water skier, even as a teen...

Last edited:
Kay...we were water skiiers back in the day, too...what wonderful memories! And a great way to work up a huge appetite. :) I'd probably break my neck if I tried it again these days. :ermm::LOL:

Have fun with your new pop-up camper, RP! Gosh, I really do miss camping whether it's in a tent or camper. We've even just used sleeping bags and built a rough lean-to for shelter back in the day. Good memories.

Sort of like me wanting to take up bike riding again. The fact that it has been more than 40 years since I was on one, shouldn't stop me. Middle ear problems and vertigo shouldn't be a problem either. And how do I tell the cop I am on narcotic medications for pain? I think I will stick to my three wheel electric scooter. The world is a safer place if I do that. :angel:

Kay...we were water skiiers back in the day, too...I'd probably break my neck if I tried it again these days...

...I was a horrid water skier, even as a teen...
I snow skied during the front half of my 20s - which accounts for my crap knees nowadays. A friend of mine decided to teach me to water ski. We were at her family's lot at a small resort in OH, her brother put their boat into the water...and I could not get my butt out of the water no matter how fast or slow he went. :LOL: I told Mo that snow skiing was easier since I was already upright!

Back
Top Bottom