What's your favorite camp meal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I snow skied during the front half of my 20s - which accounts for my crap knees nowadays. A friend of mine decided to teach me to water ski. We were at her family's lot at a small resort in OH, her brother put their boat into the water...and I could not get my butt out of the water no matter how fast or slow he went. :LOL: I told Mo that snow skiing was easier since I was already upright!

Actually back in the day, single water skiing was about the only athletic thing I was really good at doing. Our group would even set up our own slalom course, and practice for hours, as my crock pot was doing it's thing back at camp. I wish I had you with us CG, as I never failed teaching both kids and adults how to water ski.
I never was tempted to snow ski from fear of falling. ;) Besides, I like water a lot more than snow. :cool:

Last edited:
Actually back in the day, single water skiing was about the only athletic thing I was really good at doing. Our group would even set up our own slalom course, and practice for hours, as my crock pot was doing it's thing back at camp. I wish I had you with us CG, as I never failed teaching both kids and adults how to water ski.
I never was tempted to snow ski from fear of falling. ;) Besides, I like water a lot more than snow. :cool:

First time waterskiing, I got up, then went down. I didn't realize that I was supposed to drop the rope, and kept yelling for my dad to stop the boat in between breaths and mouthfuls of water. I also almost lost the bottom of my swimsuit another time. The ski belt was too big, and kept pushing it south.

My attempts at snow skiing were also pathetic. I fell, and stabbed myself in the chest with my ski pole. Bent it in half.

Last edited:
First time waterskiing, I got up, then went down. I didn't realize that I was supposed to drop the rope, and kept yelling for my dad to stop the boat in between breaths and mouthfuls of water. I also almost lost the bottom of my swimsuit another time. The ski belt was too big, and kept pushing it south.

My attempts at snow skiing were also pathetic. I fell, and stabbed myself in the chest with my ski pole. Bent it in half.

Bad Daddy! :LOL: Yep, the first thing you tell a student is to drop the rope if you fall, and put your arm thumbs up to signal you're ok. I actually lost the bottom of my suit to my knees once. Boy did I let go of that rope fast. :LOL: That's when I started wearing a one piece suit or a summer wet suit.

Last edited:
After that nearly happening to me once as well, it was one piece suits from then on! For some reason I really took to water skiing easily, and after a couple of times on doubles and getting the hang of it, found singles SO much easier and lots more fun. Snow skiing was another story - I went with my friends one time up to Mammoth because they kept telling me if I could water ski, I could snow ski. I didn't find that to be true. :ermm::LOL: Even in a class on the bunny slope, I was a total klutz. But like Kay, I like water more than snow.

As far as cooking, I don't remember having outlets near the lakes to plug in a crock pot - maybe up at the Colorado River, but not locally. That would have been nice. We usually used a Coleman propane stove, a hibachi, or one of the bbq grills at camp. Still good eats, though! :)

Last edited:
Bad Daddy! :LOL: Yep, the first thing you tell a student is to drop the rope if you fall, and put your arm thumbs up to signal you're ok. I actually lost the bottom of my suit to my knees once. Boy did I let go of that rope fast. :LOL: That's when I started wearing a one piece suit or a summer wet suit.

Oh yeah, one piece only! :LOL:

I also had a male friend take off skiing from the dock, but his shorts caught on it. We got to see the moon that day...

After that nearly happening to me once as well, it was one piece suits from then on! For some reason I really took to water skiing easily, and after a couple of times on doubles and getting the hang of it, found singles SO much easier and lots more fun. Snow skiing was another story - I went with my friends one time up to Mammoth because they kept telling me if I could water ski, I could snow ski. I didn't find that to be true. :ermm::LOL: Even in a class on the bunny slope, I was a total klutz. But like Kay, I like water more than snow.

As far as cooking, I don't remember having outlets near the lakes to plug in a crock pot - maybe up at the Colorado River, but not locally. That would have been nice. We usually used a Coleman propane stove, a hibachi, or one of the bbq grills at camp. Still good eats, though! :)

My dad would tell me to drop a ski and do slalom. I never got that good, though. A lot of friends were world-class water skiers.

I too prefer water to snow.

We camped a lot growing up.
the bacon in the morning was always a welcome wake up.
then has to be either beef stew that mom had cooking all day or my dad Bq chicken. The smell of the chicken drifted through out the campground. People became very friendly that day.

Being a frost-bitten Canadian boy, I have to go with fresh-caught walleye, cooked on the open fire... fried spuds, baked beans and bannock.

Someone beat that classic sample of northern ruggedtivity!

Being a frost-bitten Canadian boy, I have to go with fresh-caught walleye, cooked on the open fire... fried spuds, baked beans and bannock.

Someone beat that classic sample of northern ruggedtivity!

Take that fish fillet, and fried round slices of spud, slap 'em between two slices of whole wheat, or rye bread, with a little ketchup and you will have what me and my best friend used to eat while camping and fishing in the St. Mary's river, just south of Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. We lived on the U.S. side of the river but were a stone's throw away from the border. We used whatever we caught, i.e. rock bass, small mouth bass, yellow perch, walleye, etc.

If we went brook trout fishing, those beauties had to be cleaned and fried up without embellishments, just dredge them in flour, and fry until golden brown. Season with salt. That's a meal to remember for its simplicity, and that amazing brookie flavor with the orange meat of wild vs. planted fish.

Those were good days.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Take that fish fillet, and fried round slices of spud, slap 'em between two slices of whole wheat, or rye bread, with a little ketchup and you will have what me and my best friend used to eat while camping and fishing in the St. Mary's river, just south of Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. We lived on the U.S. side of the river but were a stone's throw away from the border. We used whatever we caught, i.e. rock bass, small mouth bass, yellow perch, walleye, etc.

If we went brook trout fishing, those beauties had to be cleaned and fried up without embellishments, just dredge them in flour, and fry until golden brown. Season with salt. That's a meal to remember for its simplicity, and that amazing brookie flavor with the orange meat of wild vs. planted fish.

Those were good days.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Hey, Chief!

Great story!! I lived on St. Joseph Island for one year back in 1990... so, we've fished the same waters... great fishing in the channel. You never knew what you'd catch! I remember one time, fishing at night for walleyes... I hooked into a huge sucker. Must have been 7 or 8 pounds. Until I saw it, I figured I broke the world record for Ontario walleye. That bugger fought like a SOB!

Back he went...

Sweet, you can't beat a fish fry when camping, that's for sure.
Here is a coho fillet I did up on the North Island (B.C.) a few
years ago. I improvised and made a tent of aluminum foil for
the alder smoke and the cedar plank I split, with the axe, from
fire wood left by the forest company. My specially is a camp fire
paella and will have to hunt for a picture.

Attachments

• ######Cedar Plank Salmon.jpg
    ######Cedar Plank Salmon.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 191
I wanna go back in time until I'm 15 years old again, back in 1970, with my freind, or any of you guys or gals, with my stepdad's 14 food SeaKing boat with the 21 horse SeaKing motor. With my balance, I could go onto the river with very choppy water, and know that I would not capsize. I simply shifted my weight to the motion of the boat. Those were days that nobody ever forgets, good times, no great responsibilities, and just enough pocket cash for gas for the car, and the boat, having to sometimes siphon gas from the car to fill the little carry-on tank for the boat.

Yep, when I pass from this life, I'm going to ask for the 20 year old model for my resurrected self.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'd love to be able get in my canoe with out falling over or tipping the darn thing.

Here is a camp paella I made a few years ago by Mahatta River.

Attachments

• ####Camp Paella 2006.jpg
    ####Camp Paella 2006.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 268
I do a breakfast scramble on the cast iron over the campfire. I cube up some taters and some peppers/onions and throw 'em in and get them well on their way to getting cooked, then I throw in some cut up bacon, and then towards the end I toss in some eggs and then mix it all together in a "breakfast scramble". Served with hot cowboy coffee.

I wanna go back in time until I'm 15 years old again, back in 1970, with my freind, or any of you guys or gals, with my stepdad's 14 food SeaKing boat with the 21 horse SeaKing motor. With my balance, I could go onto the river with very choppy water, and know that I would not capsize. I simply shifted my weight to the motion of the boat. Those were days that nobody ever forgets, good times, no great responsibilities, and just enough pocket cash for gas for the car, and the boat, having to sometimes siphon gas from the car to fill the little carry-on tank for the boat.

Yep, when I pass from this life, I'm going to ask for the 20 year old model for my resurrected self.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

What a beautiful memory. My stepdad also had a boat when I was a kid in the 1970's/1980's. He had a 20 foot 1960ish boat with the little steering wheel/console, and it had a Chrysler Marine outboard. He had a smaller Mercury outboard as a backup. Good times! It was fun getting to drive it.

Back
Top Bottom