A bit more lemon would be nice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JuanaCook

Cook
I have a classic lemon pie recipe that is fine. How does one control or 'turn up' the intensity of lemon in the filling a notch? Do I squeeze additional lemons then reduce the juice to the amount the recipe calls for or up the amount of zest or ... ?

Thanks

Definitely add more lemon zest - I do that all the time, and it really makes a difference. Also, a few drops of lemon oil would significantly increase the intensity, but it's not easy to find.

My mother used to make a mile high lemon pie using My-T-Fine lemon pie filling and then use lemon juice and zest to amp up the flavor. She also used lemon extract in some things. I prefer to use real lemon juice and zest. I do not get the over the top lemon flavor and the fluorescent yellow color but, it tastes fine to me. I think we get so many artificial flavors in foods and sweets today that we forget what some things really taste like.

JuanaCook, add more zest. Here is my recipe. Compare yours and see if they are close. Mine is pretty lemony.

Alix,

Both recipes are similar. The one I used thickens with flour rather than cornstarch and may yield slightly more filling. Next pie I am going to double the zest then double the lemon juice and reduce it down to the 1/3 cup the recipe calls for. Janet and I just want a little more lemon flavor.

1-1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups water
3 eggs, separated
1 medium lemon zest (zest 2 small)
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (juice from 1-1/2 medium or 3 small lemons)
1 Tbs butter

You don't need to reduce the lemon juice...just use the extra juice to replace some of the water. Double juice, use only 1 cup of water and extra water to thin, if needed, by the tablespoonful.

Surf the web for seasonings and extracts. Penzey's has excellent spices and extract oils. But a bit on the expensive side. Fortunately for me, they have a retail store near my home. Otherwise I would have to pay shipping charges. (One of life's small irritations.) They have rather large bottles for their extracts. Not like the ones you buy in your local supermarket. And they carry all those exotic spices and oils that you see the chefs on TV using like you can just run to your corner store and pick it up for pennies.

Back
Top Bottom