A Pie Crust That You Will Not Believe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettyR

Senior Cook
I got this piecrust recipe many years ago from a friend who has family in Missouri; she got it from one of the women in her family.

I LOVE this recipe it is so versatile; you can throw together a quick piecrust in a matter of minutes or you can roll it out between two sheets of wax paper and use it whole as a top crust or slice it and carefully pick the strips up with a spatula and place them on top of the pie as a lattice crust (you can’t weave them they will break) or you can add oats or nuts, a little sugar and some cinnamon and have the best crumb crust that you have ever eaten.

I personally have been unsuccessful at creating a rolled crust this flaky.

Give this one a try and let me know what you think

QUICK AMISH PIECRUST

Mix in pie plate:
1 1/2c.+ 3T.flour
1 1/2t.sugar
1/2t.salt.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
With fork, beat in a measuring cup:
1/2c.oil + 3T.milk.
Pour all at once into pie plate and use fork to blend thoroughly.
Push into place with fingers; flute edges if desired.

To pre-bake: Prick; bake 425 about 15 min.

I'm the pitts at making pie crusts, so this just might get the gang here more pies..Thanks so much for sharing with us.

kadesma:)

I absolutely love the fact that you don't have to roll this out.

But I'm wondering ... CAN you roll it out? Say, if you want a top crust?

Lee

QSis said:
I absolutely love the fact that you don't have to roll this out.

But I'm wondering ... CAN you roll it out? Say, if you want a top crust?

Lee

Yes you can roll it out but it will not hold together like a regular crust does.

I roll it out between two sheets of wax paper (I prefer wax paper for this because you can see what you are doing). When you get it rolled out carefully peel one side of the paper off and using the other side for support place the crust upside-down onto the top of the pie then carefully peel the top paper off.

It will break around the edges but you just pick the pieces up and stick them back on and push them into the shape you want them as though you were using play dough.

You can't overwork this dough; I've tried. Somehow the milk and the oil will not allow gluten to form.

This is whats left of a pie I made yesterday with some pears that I had in the freezer that my mom had given me last year off her pear tree. I just cooked the pears until they were tender in a little water with some sugar, 1/2 stick of butter, cinnamon and a little lemon juice to taste. I thickened it with a little cornstarch and water until it was about the thickness of gravy. I threw the Amish Piecrust together and pushed it into place in the pie plate.

I then took the same crust recipe and added 1 cup of finely chopped pecans about 3 T of sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and sprinkled it on top of the pie.

Then baked the pie in a 375° oven for 1 hour. Always put a pan of some sort under to catch any spills.

img_456911_0_001bc888337908245b60af12c6eed19b.jpg

I can attest to this recipe - this is the recipe my grandmother used when I was a girl. Hands down, the easiest and the best tasting!!! Good job BettyR - that pie looks amazing!

Back
Top Bottom