Alix's Lemon Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Use either a shortbread crust (1 cup butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 cups flour) that has been baked a bit (10 minutes or so) or a blind baked pie shell.

1 cup sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup BOILING water
1 tbsp butter
2 eggs (separated)
1 lemon (4 tbsp juice, about 2 tsp zest)

Mix cornstarch and sugar, pour in the boiling water. Beat the egg yolks together in a pot and slowly pour in the hot sugar water mixture. (Beat FAST so the eggs don't cook) Cook this on medium heat til thick. Add lemon juice and butter at the end and pour into pie shell.

Make meringue (add 1 tbsp of sugar to the egg whites and beat til stiff) and put on top of pie. Brown under broiler for a couple of minutes til meringue is golden.

Alix's notes: I add a LOT more zest to this recipe. I like it very lemony. You can add some more lemon juice but be careful not to put too much in or your pie will be too runny. Also, I prefer the shortbread base myself, but thats just me. Most folks like the pie shell better. If you do the shortbread base the recipe above is enough for two pies. Make sure to press the crumbs up the sides of the pie plate before baking.

Alix, one of my favorite things is lemon.I always had mom bake me a lemon pie for my birthday, forget a cake:LOL: This looks so delicious,thank you it's on my to do and very soon list.
kades:)

Hope you like it kadesma. I promised this recipe to Andy sometime ago and it took me FOREVER to find it again.

My sister used to make a graham cookie crusted lemon pie, with very thinly sliced lemon pieces including the rind. The pie had an amazing sweet/sour taste! I recently asked her for the recipe and she said she forgot. I mean, come on! It was only 40 years ago! :)

Anybody else ever have lemon pie with lemon slices?

My sister used to make a graham cookie crusted lemon pie, with very thinly sliced lemon pieces including the rind. The pie had an amazing sweet/sour taste! I recently asked her for the recipe and she said she forgot. I mean, come on! It was only 40 years ago! :)

Sounds good, hadn't thought of using fresh slices in pie. Yum, hopefully someone knows the recipe.

Sounds good, hadn't thought of using fresh slices in pie. Yum, hopefully someone knows the recipe.

I think we have to invent it. This recipe would particularly appeal to people like me who don't have the sweet tooth.

One day I'll be motivated to recreate this recipe. All I have to remember is what it tasted like, and get motivated to just do it. I recall one of my mom's recipes, she couldn't remember the recipe and didn't have it written down, I googled dozens of similar recipes and worked through it, ended up cooking about two dozen variations before I finally combined pieces from different recipes and got what seemed to me to be exactly my mom's recipe. Maybe even better! :)

That's one thing I like about cooking. You can just keep going on anything until you're finally satisfied with the results. You can accomplish anything if you refuse to quit.

I think we have to invent it. This recipe would particularly appeal to people like me who don't have the sweet tooth.

One day I'll be motivated to recreate this recipe. All I have to remember is what it tasted like, and get motivated to just do it. I recall one of my mom's recipes, she couldn't remember the recipe and didn't have it written down, I googled dozens of similar recipes and worked through it, ended up cooking about two dozen variations before I finally combined pieces from different recipes and got what seemed to me to be exactly my mom's recipe. Maybe even better! :)

That's one thing I like about cooking. You can just keep going on anything until you're finally satisfied with the results. You can accomplish anything if you refuse to quit.

Was it a Lemon meringue type filling with the fresh slices?

Clear lemon filling other than the slices (probably thickened lemon juice), graham cracker crust, meringue topping. :yum:

Fortunately this doesn't sound too hard to make, whenever I get around to it. The only unusual aspect is the thin lemon slices with peel still attached. I recall it tasted very citrusy-fruity.

Clear lemon filling other than the slices (probably thickened lemon juice), graham cracker crust, meringue topping. :yum:

Fortunately this doesn't sound too hard to make, whenever I get around to it. The only unusual aspect is the thin lemon slices with peel still attached. I recall it tasted very citrusy-fruity.

May I suggest: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f40/lemon-curd-ala-pf-74950.html

Very rich and tasty, almost healthy for you! Put it in your GC crust and top with meringue. You can add the lemon slices, it only gets heated enough to brown the meringue.

Yeah Fiona, that should do it, just quarter lengthwise a couple lemons then slice as thinly as possible leaving the peel on, remove any seeds and add to your linked recipe. I would probably also reduce the sugar level because I liked the sour lemon taste, YMMV. The heat wouldn't bother the lemons anyway, might even tenderize the peels.

I'm trying to figure out why you wouldn't want your lemon curd recipe to curdle. :)

Yeah Fiona, that should do it, just quarter lengthwise a couple lemons then slice as thinly as possible leaving the peel on, remove any seeds and add to your linked recipe. I would probably also reduce the sugar level because I liked the sour lemon taste, YMMV. The heat wouldn't bother the lemons anyway, might even tenderize the peels.

I'm trying to figure out why you wouldn't want your lemon curd recipe to curdle. :)

LOL!!! Yes, kind of an Oxymoron. What you don't want are scrambled eggs with lemon juice.

This is fairly tart on it's own, but going to a 1/2 cup of sugar should be nice. Man I love lemons!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: 40 years huh?

Sis and her friend used to bake pies in mom's kitchen and then sell them to neighbors, to pick up a bit of extra spending money.

ummm, sounds good....only, I would reduce the sugar from 1 cup to maybe 2/3rd or 3/4.
And if I were to put thin lemon slices in, I'd be tempted to coat them in sugar first. I like sour, but not that bite-into sourness.

Andy, wondering if you have read this thread? Do you think this would work as key lime pie?

Andy, wondering if you have read this thread? Do you think this would work as key lime pie?

I don't see why not. Replace the lemon with an equal amount of lime juice and zest and you should be good to go. I like the idea of a shortbread crust. The texture of the filling will differ from the chiffon like key lime filling but so what. It'll be a lime meringue pie.

Last edited:
This recipe sounds lovely :)

We are going to be making something similar this weekend, a lemon curd pie ;)

Back
Top Bottom