Another Pecan Pie question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

S.TX.Mum

Assistant Cook
I have been using my ex-MIL's pecan pie recipe for years and it always turned out fine. For whatever reason, the past two years the pie has never set and is just a runny mess. My oven works for all other baking projects, so I would assume that it is not the culprit. I've wondered if the eggs being cold could be the reason. This year I tried adding corn starch to the mix and still it came out runny. The recipe follows:

3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 c Karo
2 Tbs melted margarine
3/4 c sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 c pecans

Mix eggs and Karo with fork. Mix in sugar, salt & vanilla. Add the melted margarine and pecans last. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes, then cut back to 350 for 30-35 minutes.

Any ideas?

My recipe is similar to yours except that it calls for 6 tablespoons of butter.

I'd try cooking it longer.

Agree with Andy -- The recipe seems pretty much a basic Pecan Pie recipe -- Somewhat light on butter/margarine --- We use 8 tbls. ---

Two things...Melt the butter, sugar, and Karo in the same pan at the same time --Do not boil. Cook the pie longer -- Check for doneness at say 10 minute intervals.

Just for fun I would check my oven temperature for accuracy....

Fun!

I've always used Dear Abby's recipe, which she got from the Phoenix Hotel in Lexington, Kentucky. My mom got the recipe from Abby around 1960, I think, and I still have the printed version she received in the mail. It was my dad's favorite. It's foolproof and delicious, albeit very sweet. Best warm with vanilla ice cream on top.

Abby's Pecan Pie

1 cup white corn syrup (Karo)
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 whole eggs
1 heaping cup pecan halves

Mix together first five ingredients.
Mix in slightly beaten eggs.
Pour into 9" unbaked pie shell.
Sprinkle pecans over filling (I like to arrange them in circles)
Bake 350 degrees for about 45 minutes

Thanks all. I've tried cooking the pie for as much as an hour longer and covered the crust to keep it from burning -- all to no avail. I've no idea why additional butter/margarine would make a difference, but will try that as well. Would the cold eggs make a difference?

I doubt the temperature of the eggs would make any difference. I've never worried about it in my recipe. It seems to me that there's so much other stuff compared to the amount of eggs that it couldn't make more than a couple of degrees difference in the final mix.

Try Abby's recipe -- it's really, really good and so simple a child can make it.

Mine is similar to Scotch, but, there are some differences and it comes out wonderful every time too.

1- 9" pie shell
1 cup dark Karo
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 whole eggs
1 heaping cup pecan halves

Preheat oven to 375
Beat eggs in medium bowl. Add sugar, syrup, salt and vanilla. Beat until well blended.Stir in the melted butter and pecans. Pour into pie shell.
Bake 45-50 minutes or until center is set when shaken gently

Well, it looks as if I'll be trying yall's recipes for Christmas. Thanks to all of you who answered my questions.

Another thought on your recipe process:

I would try using an electric mixer or a whisk to thoroughly beat the mixture of all the ingredients. It may be that the eggs are not distributed well enough to thicken effectively.

I used to have the same problem.... then someone told me if I add one tablespoon of flour while beating the mixture it would help. I did and it did. It sets up perfectly now, and really helps with the cutting and serving. And I don't taste the flour at all.

Back
Top Bottom