Apple Crumble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeryHungry

Assistant Cook
Hey people, I've wanted to start cooking meals and desserts, with the first being Apple Crumble with hot custard. :chef: Could anyone recommend a simple recipe with how I could make one myself? Most I have found are overly complex, I'd prefere to keep it simple for now.

(oh and another little question, with regards to pre-heating ... is 10 minutes enough? :ermm:)

175g self-raising flour
pinch of salt
125g butter, diced
4 tbsp brown sugar
1 kg cooking apples
juice of ½ orange
2 tbsp Demerara sugar

(I often substitute a portion of steel-cut oats for some of the flour, which makes for a more crunchy topping). Add 3-4 tbsp coarse oats with the sugar and take out the same amount of flour.

Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6.
Sift flour and salt into a large bowl. Rub in the butter using your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar then place in the freezer while you prepare the apples.

Peel, core and cut the apples into thick slices. Tip into an ovenproof dish, add the orange juice and sugar and toss lightly.
Pile the crumble mixture evenly over the apples and bake for 40–45 minutes or until hot, bubbling and golden brown on top.

Serve with custard or cream.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom