Apple pie...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otter

Sous Chef
I have enough Granny Smith apples to make a pie, but am wondering if it would be better if I mixed in some Haralsons.

I have no familiarity with the Harelson variety. As for the Granny Smiths, you may want to pre-cook some of the moisture out of them. I use either them or Golden Delicious in a rich custard tart. Alternatively, Torta di Mele alla Panna, is an apple cream-cheese pie, for which Cortlands are quite suitable. My preferred variety for double-crust pies is Royal Gala. For Dutch Appel Taart, I use Red Delicious.

McIntosh provide a classic, straightforward pie (with a traditional lard crust), beloved by many families. Equal amounts of Granny Smith & McIntoshes provide for a juicy full-flavored pie filling, so you may feel confident to go with that combination.

many of the prize-winning apple pies use at least two varieties, I think to get a more even "liquid" level; 2003 winner recommends Jonathan and Granny Smith.

Good Luck!

I like granny smith apples.

Brown Butter Creamy Apple Pie:

1 (15oz)pkg refrigerated pie crust

Filling:

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp vanilla
3 large granny smith apples, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch wedges

Streusel:

1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup butter

Topping:

1/2 cup whipping cream
1 tbsp powdered sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla

Prepare pie crust according to directions using a 9-inch pie pan. (refrigerate remaining crusting for later use)

Heat oven to 400°. In small saucepan, cook 1/4 cup butter over med heat until melted and lightly browned, stirring constantly. Cool 15 minutes or until completely cooled.

In small bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar and egg; beat until light and fluffy. Stir in 2 tbsp flour and 1 tsp vanilla. With a wire wisk, beat in cooled butter. Pour into crust-lined pan. Arrange apple wedges over top.

Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In med bowl, combine all streusel ingredients except butter; mix well. With a pastry blender or fork, cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over apples; press lightly.

Bake for 20 min. Reduce oven temperature to 350°; bake and additional 40-50 min or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. If necessary, cover edge of crust with strips of foil after 15-20 min of baking to prevent excessive browning. Cool two hours.

In small bowl, beat whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add remaining topping ingredients; beat until stiff peaks form. Pipe or spoon onto pie, store in refrigerator. If you don't want to use this topping, spoon vanilla ice cream or yogurt on pie.

I munched my way through too many of the Haralsons this weekend, so I guess it is going to be just Granny this time.

Otter said:
I munched my way through too many of the Haralsons this weekend, so I guess it is going to be just Granny this time.

I love apples.. I eat them often as a snack!

If you were going to add something to a Granny Apple Pie, you might consider raisins, and an extra dash of cinnamon...grant the point, its a personal taste thing, but I like it that way...

My claim to fame is my "World's Best Pancake" recipe. My youngest daughter's claim is her caramel-apple pie.

She takes the bottom crust, and before rolling it out, divides it into two portions. Then she rolls out each portion to fit the pan. She lays the first layer of bottom crust into the pan, then spreads caramel dip all over it. She then lays the second crust over the first. Next, she fills the crust with apple pie filling she has made on top of the stove, adding starch until the filling is just thick enough. This eliminates the guess work and allows her to season it just right with cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and sweetener. The top crust is rolled and cut into strips for a lattice crust on top. she fills the areas between the lattice work with more caramel dip and bakes until the crust is perfect.

This pie has taken first place at every event it's been entered in. You have to understand that my daughter is literally at the top of her class, or next to the top, in virtually everything she does, from physiology, to math, to writing, to intuitive cooking. Her IQ is well into the genius range, as are the IQ's of her siblings, and parents (but she blows the rest of us away). The child is scary smart (18-year-old child who is somewhat headstrong and can act like a spoiled kid sometimes). But she is very good-natured and caring. She just still thinks the world revolves around her. And I lover her even more than her apple-pie. :D

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed of the North said:
And I lover her even more than her apple-pie. :D

Wow, a three crust pie, what a great idea!
The closest thing to that I heard of was Mama Dipp's Old-Fashioned Stacked Double-crust Applesauce Pie; but what she did was to make two pies, when slide one over the top of the other. (apparently three works too!)
Does that inner crust get cooked good too?

also thought I would share the 2003 winner in the apple category in case you made everyone hungry with your description! and maybe your daughter would like to try the Streusel Topping sometime!

Caramel Apple Pie - 2003 1st Place Apple
Recipe courtesy Marles Riessland

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour 8 minutes
Yield: 8 servings

Pie Crust:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter flavored shortening, chilled
1/3 cup ice water
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 egg, beaten

Filling:
6 cups apples (Jonathan or Granny Smith)
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 tablespoons heavy cream
4 tablespoons butter

Streusel Topping:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon butter
2 toffee bars or 3 ounces chocolate covered peanut or pecan brittle

Pie Crust:
Chill all ingredients, including the flour and vinegar. Combine the flour, salt and sugar. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles cornmeal. In another bowl, mix water and vinegar with the beaten egg. Add the liquid mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, to the flour mixture, tossing with a fork to form a soft dough.

Filling:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Peel and slice apples. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and add apples. Toss to mix. Add vanilla and cream. Melt butter in heavy skillet. Add apple mixture and cook approximately 8 minutes, to soften apples. Turn into pie shell.

Streusel Topping:
Combine the flour and sugar. Mix in butter with fork until coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over pie. Add top crust. Seal, flute edge and vent top. Brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake 45 minutes longer.

Good Luck!

All American Apple Pie

Apple pie has long been an American tradition especially around the holidays. This is a wonderful recipe which uses a lard based crust which is often not seen today. Lard creates a flakier and lighter crust than shortenings or butter. While we would not recommend using lard for everyday cooking, for the holidays if you can find it, use it.

Yield: 8 Servings

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
4 egg yolk
4 tablespoons lard/ fat
5 or more tablespoons sugar
Salt
1 beaten egg
6 or 7 large apples
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Grated rind 1 lemon
2 tablespoons peach or apricot jam
Ground cinnamon
1 cinnamon stick
A little confectioner’s sugar

1. Put the flour on a slab or pastry board. Make a well in the center and put in it the egg yolks, fat, 4 tablespoons sugar and a pinch of salt. Work center ingredients to a smooth paste; work the flour quickly. Roll out, not too thick, and line a shallow pie dish with half of dough. Trim off extra dough neatly and brush the edges with beaten egg.
2. Skin, core, and slice the apples thickly. Put in a pan with the lemon juice and grated lemon rind, the jam and 1 teaspoon sugar. Half cook the apples. Cool a little. Fill the lined pie shell. Sprinkle top with a little ground cinnamon. Stick in the top a small piece of cinnamon stick. Cover with remaining pastry and trim off neatly. Stick down edges with a pointed knife. Brush all over top with beaten egg and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake for 35-40 minutes in a moderate oven until golden brown on the top. Remove and cool. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve.

Recipe based on The Cordon Bleu Cook Book by Dione Lucas, copyright 1947.

Brought to you by allfood.

I went apple picking this year and picked two varities, cortland and macintosh, both tart apples. They work great in pies, and I used them for an apple cake that I made today (recipe compliments of AllenMI). My favorite apple to eat is granny smith or cortland, love tart apples! Forgot to mention that AllenMI recipe is listed under "apple recipes" in this forum.

Thanks, Amber. How did you like the cake?

edited to add: Opps, didn't see the other thread. Thanks!

I made a slight mistake in the preperation of my daughter's pie. She blind bakes the bottom crust as the filling is already cooked. The only thing left is to lay on the lattice-work top, fill in with caramel drops, and brown the top. The pie beocmes more elegant when the top crust is brushed with egg-wash and sprinkles with coarse sugar.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

hi! i'm new to this forum, and i've always wanted to know what the difference is between cooking apples and baking apples. i've always used grannies for apple pies, because most recipes ask for them, but what happens if you use something else? is there an actual difference in taste/texture? thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom