Apple Pie oopsie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenkbeck

Assistant Cook
My apple pie didn't turn out! This is the third time i have used this recipe and all of the sudden it stinks!!!

I used the recipe and did everything to a T. The juice is still really really runny..What did i do wrong or should i wait on it to cool for a few hours first?

I'm not a baker, so can't help with what happened. HOWEVER, that said, I'm excellent at rescuing mistakes. Scoop out the pie filling, layer with ice cream or whipped cream/topping in glasses, top with the top crust, crumbled. If you are alcoholically inclined, add some hootch before you top it! No one will know, and just try again. If it is that liquid-y, I doubt letting it sit would help very much.

It could just be that you had juicier apples. Some folks partially cook the filling in a pan before filling the pie. You could also try mixing all the filling ingredients and let them sit for a couple of hours and draining off the liquid.

My apple pie didn't turn out! This is the third time i have used this recipe and all of the sudden it stinks!!!

I used the recipe and did everything to a T. The juice is still really really runny..What did i do wrong or should i wait on it to cool for a few hours first?

I only use Granny Smith apples in my pie, they seem "drier" than most apples to me - I don't know if that makes a difference. I pre-cook my apples, sugars and spices in the microwave for about 3 mins before adding to the pie crust, top with butter then put on the top crust. I bake at 400 degrees for about 15 mins then turn the oven down to 350 for 35-40 - depends on the color of the crust - I've never had a runny apple pie. Hope this helps.

I only use Granny Smith apples in my pie, they seem "drier" than most apples to me - I don't know if that makes a difference. I pre-cook my apples, sugars and spices in the microwave for about 3 mins before adding to the pie crust, top with butter then put on the top crust. I bake at 400 degrees for about 15 mins then turn the oven down to 350 for 35-40 - depends on the color of the crust - I've never had a runny apple pie. Hope this helps.

If you used margarine instead of butter you added water to your pie filling. Cheap brands are the worst.

If you used margarine instead of butter you added water to your pie filling. Cheap brands are the worst.

For baking, unless the recipie calls for something else, I only use real butter. It's the best and sometimes you can substitue butter for the oil and get a really nice taste and a lighter texture.

I have heard that disturbing (ie; cutting) a berry pie before it has thoroughly cooled will cause the pie not to set up. Don't really know if that is true or not but maybe the same thing happens to apple pie. As for me, I pre-cook my apples. After years of pies that were either too runny or too dry i find that this is the most dependable method.

Darn it... now you guys have me craving pie!

Can you please post your recipe and exactly what you did? If you do that we will be better able to troubleshoot this for you. You've got some likely culprits in the information you've already received, but to be sure it would be helpful for you to post the whole shot.

Back
Top Bottom