Apple Slab Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw that and wanted to make it too!!

Can you describe it -- taste and texture-wise? I am thinking of making it over the weekend. But I am also making baguettes and hot sauce so who knows.

The crust was what I was most curious about; sort of kinda a cookie dough type of crust w/out sugar. It handled beautifully during rolling, was very amenable to 'patching', and now that I've had a piece on the 2nd day, is still very tender-crisp and flaky. Heavier than a regular pie crust, but still flaky. The inside was apple pie all the way, and the little bit of sweetness from the glaze was great!

I used a mixture of golden delicious, granny smith and Gala apples; and used the butter-flavored Crisco for the crust. Oh, and used the Penzey's 'apple pie spice' in the filling.

Let me know what you think! I was thinking this would be a neat, little different dessert for the Thanksgiving table.

wow.. looks YUMMY! do you think the [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, sans-serif]shortening could be subsituted with something else?

[/FONT]

Debbie said:
wow.. looks YUMMY! do you think the [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, sans-serif]shortening could be subsituted with something else?

[/FONT]
You can always use butter, but your crust won't be as flaky as Marmalady's.. Lard will yield a flakier crust, and tasty, as well.

That tart reminds me of the Galette Bressane a traditional Lyonnaise dessert, but with apples added on top. GB is just a sugar tart....

Thanks for the info, June. Some folks just don't like shortening; just like some don't like lard. If the recipe works for them with whatever substitute they choose, then that's okay. Really. Seriously.

Cooking for ourselves, and for our families, involves so many things; experimentation, substitutions, compromises, add-ins and leave-outs. Bottom line is we're showing our love and support for those we love. If that means substituting something that's not acceptable to either us or our families, then so be it. I'd rather show my love for my family than have a flaky old crust any day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom