Aunt Satenig's Apple Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Aunt Satenig’s Apple Pie

For the Crust:

2 C Flour
1 tsp Salt
¾ C Crisco
½ C Water
2 Tb Milk
1 Egg

For the Filling:
3 Lb Apples, Cortlands
¾ C Sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
¼ tsp Nutmeg
1 Tb Flour
1 Tb Butter
1 tsp Lemon

Preheat oven to 425º F. Position a rack near the bottom of the oven.

Crust:Mix flour and salt in the food processor.Add the shortening to the processor and pulse until pea sized granules are formed.Add ice water and blend until dough cleans bowl and is no longer sticky. Add water sparingly and keep processing to a minimum.Wrap the dough in plastic and let it rest in the refrigerator for an hour.Divide into 2 balls.Roll out on floured surface; sprinkle a little flour on top of dough to make rolling easier. Roll from center outward. This amount makes enough for a double crust to fit a 9" pan.

Filling:

Slice apples – not too thin.

Mix sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon and flour and mix with the apples.

Put into pie crust and put dabs of butter on top of the filling

Add top crust and brush with egg whites beaten with milk.

Bake for 50-60 minutes.

Not familiar with Cortland apples, but the best apple pies I have had have used a two or three varieties of apples.

Thank you. Duly noted.

Any suggestions for alternate apple varieties if Cortlands aren't available?

I'm not an apple expert. I don't know much about the different varieties. I like the tartness of the cortlands. Maybe a combination of granny smiths and a sweeter apple would work.

My mom always uses courtlands, they are similar to Granny Smith, but maybe a bit less tart, and the skin is a bit thinner. They don't hold their shape as well as grannys but they taste great in a pie.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom