Baked Pie Crust Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
I am hosting a goat event on Saturday and will not be in the house the hour before dinner is served. That right there limits my menu. I am planning on making a lemon meringue pie. Can I make the baked crust on Friday and fill and bake it Saturday? If I can, how do I store it until I bake it off? Will the condition suffer, or should I made the whole thing on Saturday? I probably am going to make an oil based pat in the pan crust. Help please;)

Beth,
I don't know about others, but I've done crusts ahead of time..I just bake, let cool completely, wrap well and store in my pantry til the next morning..It stays cool in there and I feel safe doing this..After filling of course I store in refrigerator til serving and after with any leftovers. Now I bet you will get a zillion different opinions, so look them over and do what you feel is best.
kadesma, not much help was I?:LOL:

I agree with kadesma. Make an cool the crust then store it at room temp. The fridge will make it soggy.

:) It has to be really humid in Ohio so after you make crust let cool completley and put in a big ziploc bag.Or make crust let cool make filling and put in crust and cool completley and put in ziploc and in fridge the next day make your meringue and finish off.This way would save you alot of time and you dont hafto worry about meringue breaking down on you.

Andy M. said:
Isn't it better to apply the meringue to the hot filling?

This is only the second LM pie I have made, in recent history. The first time I used the recipe from Penzey's catalog and their directions were very strict about putting the meringue on a very hot filling. But I can't find that recipe:mad:, so I am using one from the King Arthur 200th anniversary cookbook. And that recipe is not so strict. In fact, they say to cool the filling a bit.

So, what's the deal?

In Shirley Corriher's book Cookwise, she advocates putting the meringue onto the hot filling right after you put the filling into the crust. As I recall her reasoning, the prime reason for the meringue to weep is that it's cooked too long and adding the meringue to a hot filling will help the meringue brown without overcooking.

She also advocates a light layer of cake crumbs on the filling before you add the meringue to absorb any liquid that collects.

We need the input of a Shirley Corriher wannabe here.

Cake crumbs are a great idea. I'll try that when I bake my next lemon meringue pie.

hehe, I just remembered that I have/had two chunks of a Grand Marnier cake in the freezer. Well I hauled that sucker outa there. Pretty nice cake crumbs don't you say? I will make the crust tomorrow and the filling and meringue on Saturday. Thanks all for the suggestions!:cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom