Baking Temperatures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mavrul

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone !!!
Very nice forum. I ve been searching for something like this 4 a long time.
Now I have someone to ask. :rolleyes:

I just finished baking my strudel. I took recipe for dough from one of the coolest Russian recipe sites. I got nice results: got nice dough, even maked it very thin, I could see the table beneath it. Filled it with poppy seeds and
baked approximately half an hour on 185C. Actually I made thomething like a poppyseed roll.

Now what I cant understand. I sliced it. What I see is a white dough in the center, like it is not prepared. What did I do wrong. Also a dough is hard and not crispy like frozen one from the store. I hadnt taste it.

Can someone help please. And give something like a chart of baking temperatures , if one does exist.

Thanks. :-p

Mavrul said:
Hi everyone !!!
Very nice forum. I ve been searching for something like this 4 a long time.
Now I have someone to ask. :rolleyes:

I just finished baking my strudel. I took recipe for dough from one of the coolest Russian recipe sites. I got nice results: got nice dough, even maked it very thin, I could see the table beneath it. Filled it with poppy seeds and
baked approximately half an hour on 185C. Actually I made thomething like a poppyseed roll.

Now what I cant understand. I sliced it. What I see is a white dough in the center, like it is not prepared. What did I do wrong. Also a dough is hard and not crispy like frozen one from the store. I hadnt taste it.

Can someone help please. And give something like a chart of baking temperatures , if one does exist.

Thanks. :-p

Did you confirm that the temperature was 365 degrees Fahrenheit? You did not say were you were located. If you are in the U.S., ovens in the U.S. are only calibrated in the Fahrenheit scale.

Here is a Fahrenheit to Celcius Chart which may be easier to use as a reference than the single temperature conversion sites:

http://www.texloc.com/closet/cl_cel_fah_chart.html

Last edited:
Firstly, welcome to DC, you have come to a perfect place to ask any cooking question!!

Now, on to your strudel, can you post a link to the original recipe, so we can see what may have been the problem? (Please don't copy and paste a copyrighted recipe from another site... providing us with a link will suffice!!)

I also suspect the misunderstanding between "C" and "F" in temperatures...

if you need to translate the temperatures between them, you can do this here...

O.K.

For the dough I took:
1.323 Lb (600g) white regular floor
250 ml (1 cup) of slightly warm water
2 eggs
salt

For the filling:
200 g grounded poppy seeds
150 ml milk
200 g brown sugar
combined it together and cooked till milk was absorbed and I got poppy sweet
mixture.

Prepared the dough , filled , rolled and put into the preheated oven.
Its all. And... I used olive oil, not butter.
Cause I already used it with frozen one and got perfect results.

My oven is Celsius index dial.

The dough in the center of the roll will not turn brown like the dough on the outside. It can still be cooked.

Did you brush the surface with enough butter/oil ?(I would recommend butter over olive oil, unless it is a savoury strudel...)

If it is left dry and baked in the oven, it will turn hard, not with a nice crisp.

Yeap I did brush it well before bake like always with frozen.
And what does it mean ,, CAN still be cooked `` ?????

The parts of the dough in the cente of the pastry is not directly exposed to the heat of the oven so it will not turn brown like the dough on the outside. That's OK. Even though it's white, it is baked through to the middle.

Ohhh. You saved me. Thank you very much.
I spent a lot of time cooking it.
Thank you very much.

I will eat it if you say it is ready.
But it is looks like the water-logged dough, like it is not baked.
I just afraid of volvulus. :)

Can I cook it once again ??? In the microwave, maybe ???

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom