Banana Creme Pie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaim

Assistant Cook
Is this as easy as it looks, does anyone have a good recipie??

I have used this recipe a few times with good results.

I use readymade pie crust (frozen) then let it thaw unfold and place it in a pie dish. I blind bake it (with some weight in it). Prick it, place another pie pan in it and bake it until it's lightly golden ( 350 degrees for 25 minutes or so).

Let it cool completely

Prepare a custard - You can make it from scratch by mixing eggyolks, cream and sugar ( 5 large yolks, 1.5 cups of cream, 1/4 cup of sugar or to taste). Cook it stirring it constantly until it thickens.

I admit that I cheat a lot with this process. I use Birds custard powder that is available in grocery stores and mix that (2-3tbsp)with 1.5 cups of half and half and sugar and cook it to desired thickness (No one knows the difference)

Let the custard cool. Refrigerate it with a sarn wrap on top to prevent skin from forming.

Finally prepare lightly sweetened whipped cream. All you need to do is to whip the cream with some sugar and a tiny bit of vanilla or almond extract till it's nice and fluffy.

Cut 3 large bananas into thin circles. Stir them with some lemon juice (2 tsps or so) and keep them on the side

To assemble place bananas on the bottom of the baked pie crust. Spread them evenly. Next pour the chilled custard. Top with the whipped cream. Sprinkle some toasted almonds and chill for another 30 minutes before enjoying.

That sounds fantastic! Thanks!! - I'm going to try to make it tonight! :)

Few persons can resist the old-time lusciousness of a satiny cream pie – that is, the genuine example, with a crisp crust supporting & contrasting the smooth, richly flavoured filling. Cream pies are something of a contraction: they’re a bona fide type of “comfort food,” but they’re also truly luxurious desserts. If you feel a pang of guilt about the dairy richness of that fat content, then I can only suggest that you consume a smaller portion.

There are a few guidelines to turning out an ideally unctuous custard and airy, whipped cream: The custard filling for cream pies is traditionally thickened with cornstarch in order to stabilize it better than one made with eggs alone. The cornstarch should always be slaked in cold liquid – hot fluids would cause it to lump. It is added to eggs and should be in a glass or stainless steel bowl. The hot mixture is gradually poured into the egg-&-cornstarch mixture, rather than the reverse, so as to prevent curdling. When the custard has finished cooking, it should be strained to remove any cornstarch lumps. (The choriazae need to be removed from the eggs after they’re cracked.) Then the custard should be cooled with plastic wrap or parchment place directly on the surface to prevent a skin forming.

Here is a straightforward Banana Cream Pie that’s been consistently dependable in my work:

1 pastry shell, baked
16 fl. oz. homogenized milk
1/3 cup granulated sugar
¼ tsp salt
3 large egg yolks
8 fl. oz. cream (10% m.f.)
6 Tbsp cornstarch
½ oz. butter
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

8 fl. oz. heavy cream
1 Tbsp sugar
2 ripe, but firm bananas (I always buy organic bananas)
Crystallized ginger, for garnish

Rinse out medium saucepan with purified water, the add milk, sugar, and salt. Bring to simmer over med. heat, and cook, stirring often, until sugar dissolves.

Beat egg yolks with coffee cream and cornstarch. Pour some of the hot milk mixture into egg-yolk mixture to temper it, then return all to saucepan. Return to low heat (or place over barely simmering water in bain marie). Stir constantly until mixture bubbles & thickens to a pudding-like consistency. Remove from heat, stir in softened butter, strain into a bowl. Cover & cool to room temp. Using chilled wire whip & steel bowl set over large bowl containing ice, beat heavy cream with sugar until firm peaks form. Spread one-third of the custard over pie shell. Slice one banana over top of the custard and then cover with half of remaining custard. Slice the other banana over the custard, reserving one-quarter of it for garnish. Top with remaining custard & whipped cream. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours. Decorate with reserved, sliced banana & chopped crystallized ginger.

Beverage suggestion: I like to drink Darjeeling tea with cream/custard desserts.

Back
Top Bottom