Barley for dessert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I thourghly enjoy tapioca, and rice pudding. But they are both made with milk. I have to limit my dairy intake to half a cup a day. Soooo, I was wondering...

Peatl Barley is made with water, and is fairly neutral in flavor, yet is more nutritios than are oats. What do you think of a pearl Barley pudding, made with the same flavors as tapioca, or rice pudding. I could also cook the barley in fruit juice.

Just wondering if anyone has tried such a thing.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I don't have a lot of experience with barley, so I don't know if it would work. Have you considered using coconut milk for the other types of pudding?

Why not? I've occasionally used barley as a savory breakfast grain. Because I'm reading your post while deciding on First Breakfast, I'll make barley with sweetened dried blueberries and add a little plain yogurt and either fresh raspberries or blackberries added at the end.

I'm sure it will be good. I suspect I'll still prefer savory barley though. I won't be adding as much sugar as I would to a pudding because I've been depriving my sweet tooth so long it has greatly diminished.

Last edited:
I love barley, so I'd probably like something sweet with it, Chief! The Amish markets near me have rolled barley flakes, which I started using, years ago, in place of oats, in several oatmeal cookies, and people loved them! At first, they knew something was different, and couldn't figure out what it was - they figured I had added some seasoning, or some new type of honey, or sweetener, since none of them had ever had barley in something like this. It really is good.

Great responses,and some very good ideas.

I to found rolled barley, but at the supermarket, just once. I used it in place of oats and found it delightful. I tried using it to add move texture to some chicken soup I made. I used too much rolled barley and ended up with chicken porridge, instead of chicken soup:LOL:. It was still vert tasty though. I can definitely see it in cookies, and in no-bake cookies, and home-made granola and such.

I prefer barley to oats as it has about the same nutritional value,but is more kidney friendly, as well as the face that while hte soluble fiber in oats is in the oat bran, it is in the entire barley kernel. It's better for the gut as well.

I believe that barley is underrated by most people. Many think the only things barley are good for is making malt, and beef. That's sad to me.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

When I used to make granola and muesli, I used to use rolled barley as one of the ingredients. I found it at the health food store.

My favourite barley is purple barley. It is an heirloom variety. I used to buy it at Bulk Barn in Ottawa. Here in MN I have ordered it on line. You do have to soak it overnight and it takes about 90 minutes to cook.

Back
Top Bottom