Bean pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
BEAN PIE

1 9"pie shell

2 cans white beans, drained
3 eggs
1 ¼ cups sugar
¼ cup melted butter
1tsp. vanilla
1tsp. cinnamon
1tsp. nutmeg
¼ tsp. allspice
1tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup evaporated milk

Bake pie shell 10 minutes and cool. Preheat oven to 350. PLace beans in food processor and process til smooth. Add eggs, sugar, buter, vanilla, and spices. In a separate bowl add baking powder to milk and pour it into the bean mixture; pulse til incorporated. Pour into the pie shell and bake for 50 minutes, or til firm. Allow to cool before serving.

Very unique! I like the idea, and it's not every day that a pie comes chalked full of fiber! If you've made this did you use store bought or homemade pastry?

KAYLINDA said:
Are white beans the same as cooked navy beans?
I think that a white bean like cannellini beans or Great Northern beans would work well. I'm not a bean expert but I think that navy beans are different from these other two white beans that I just mentioned, but any of the three could probably be used (lol, I'd venture to guess :mrgreen:)

Any kind of white bean is fine. This is a recipe, that I think came from the Caribbean; I remember guys selling them on the street corners in NYC around Flatbush, in a Jamaican/Haitian neighborhood.

The taste/texture is very similar to a pumpkin, or sweet potato pie - because the 'palate' of the beans is so bland, it's the spices and add-ins that give it its flavor.

Back
Top Bottom