Butter Tarts..A French Canadian Treat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Butter tarts..old family recipe..very basic and yummy..Joyeux Noel!

Attachments

• 49342076_1245479418939428_8213846729913532416_n.jpg
    49342076_1245479418939428_8213846729913532416_n.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 321
They look tasty, Roch. Can you relate them to anything that's more familiar to the average non-Canadian?

Kind of like a gooey, runnier version pecan pie, without the pecans..brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, egg, vanilla..that's it..crust is just classic recipe on the lard box..I put a few rasins in mine, you can put walnuts, pecans, or nothing..

I wish you hadn't have said pecan pie. Here in Texas, pecan pie is sacred, but I can't eat it. It is just too sweet. One bite, and I'm in a sugar coma and my teeth hurt.

They does look good, though.

CD

Last edited:
Something my mother always made and my older brothers favorite. I’m going to give him most of them. He squirrels them away in his freezer and pulls one out every so often for a fix. I had to eat a couple of broken ones...just to be sure they were ok.

I saw Andrew Zimmern enjoying those on one of his shows, about French Canada of course.

The ones on the show looked just 'meh', but your's looks fantastic, Rock.

Rock those butter tarts look wonderful!

When I was a teenager we used to go to an old bakery in Gananoque, Ontario to get a supply of butter tarts but they rarely survived the trip home.

Sometime try swapping the corn syrup for pure maple syrup.

Have a wonderful Christmas!

Rock those butter tarts look wonderful!

When I was a teenager we used to go to an old bakery in Gananoque, Ontario to get a supply of butter tarts but they rarely survived the trip home.

Sometime try swapping the corn syrup for pure maple syrup.

Have a wonderful Christmas!
Yes..Some use maple syrup..we've done that before. It is quite good also..thanks!

I saw Andrew Zimmern enjoying those on one of his shows, about French Canada of course.

The ones on the show looked just 'meh', but your's looks fantastic, Rock.

The ones Andrew Zimmern had on his show probably had fried insects on them. That would probably mess up the visual appeal.

CD

No, he has shows where he eats normal stuff now.

Although, I'm sure a few insects have stuck to butter tarts before.

It reminds me of something you should be familiar with, Case: Shoo-fly pie.

No, he has shows where he eats normal stuff now.

Although, I'm sure a few insects have stuck to butter tarts before.

It reminds me of something you should be familiar with, Case: Shoo-fly pie.

Yes, I am. I haven't had it in many years. My mom used to make it.

CD

These aren't just French Canadian. They are popular all across the country, though I believe they originated in Quebec. My mother was known for hers and I took over the tradition until a few years ago when we just realized that they were too sweet. I think I made 400 one year for a homeless ministry, cookie exchange, family and a church function!

A cute story. Susanne Summers of Three's Company fame married Allan Hamel, a Canadian TV Host many years ago. She loved coming here to Canada at Christmas and her in-laws introduced her to butter tarts. She was so in love with them that she started a business in the states making them for sale. But they just didn't take off. It seems Americans prefer nuts to raisins in the sugar tarts! LOL. It also is ironic seeing as she has been known for years now for her fitness books, etc.!

Rock, Do you put rum in yours? My mom always put a small amount. She said it cut the sweetness...or maybe you just didn't care as much! :LOL:

No rum. Although it sounds good. And, yes, butter tarts are considered Canadian, for sure. I grew up in Ontario , so I don’t want to give all of the credit to the Quebecois either. Lol!

Those look really yummy Roch. I like one once in a while. As others have mentioned, they are very sweet. They are also very rich. They go really well with a bit of sour cream. (So does pecan pie.)

You’re all waxing ecstatic about these Canadian butter tarts, and I feel left out (poor me, I know). A recipe would alleviate my envy! Please?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom