Can puddings be made with rice milk instead of dairy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I miss the custards, puddings, and panacottas that I used to be able to make with milk. Can the same be made with rice or soy milk? And what about frozen deserts, such as ice cream, sherbers, and such. Can egg nog be made with milk substitutes.

I have to say that I would think the answer is yes. Does anyone here have any experience in this area?

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I done all of them with coconut milk, since my dear brother is allergic to rice.

I miss the custards, puddings, and panacottas that I used to be able to make with milk. Can the same be made with rice or soy milk? And what about frozen deserts, such as ice cream, sherbers, and such. Can egg nog be made with milk substitutes.

I have to say that I would think the answer is yes. Does anyone here have any experience in this area?

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Like Cake Poet, I don't see why not. Personally I wouldn't use soya milk as I don't like it but any of the other non-cow milks should be OK. I've made bechamel sauce with either rice milk or almond milk and they've both worked - ditto custard and custard-based desserts.

If one has a vegan friend who is allergic to nearly everything else, one learns to substitute! However, I haven't found a non-cow milk that I can stomach in tea! So it's lemon, for me.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom