Cheese Filling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PieSusan

Washing Up
Cheese Filling
Ingredients:
2 cups ricotta cheese
1 egg yolk
1/3 cup superfine sugar
grated rind of half a lemon
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 level tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup white (golden) raisins

Directions:
Place the cheese in a large mixing bowl. Beat in the eggs yolk, sugar, lemon rind, vanilla extract and cornstarch. Then, with a wooden spoon, stir in the golden raisins. Chill.

Note:
Instead of the raisins, I could drain some sour cherries, -packed in water and add them to the cheese mixture. However, you need to ensure that they are drained very well.

I have used this filling to make hamantaschen and it is very, very good.

It is a triangular yeast pastry that is traditionally served at Purim (however there are cookie versions, too). My recipe is reminiscent of Danish.

Cheese Filling
Ingredients:
2 cups ricotta cheese
1 egg yolk
1/3 cup superfine sugar
grated rind of half a lemon
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 level tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup white (golden) raisins

Directions:
Place the cheese in a large mixing bowl. Beat in the eggs yolk, sugar, lemon rind, vanilla extract and cornstarch. Then, with a wooden spoon, stir in the golden raisins. Chill.

Note:
Instead of the raisins, I could drain some sour cherries, -packed in water and add them to the cheese mixture. However, you need to ensure that they are drained very well.

I have used this filling to make hamantaschen and it is very, very good.

My that filling sounds delicious, but I wouldn't use it for Hamantaschen. Imho, they are supposed to at least look black, like Haman's hat. In addition to the traditional Poppyseed (my personal favorite) prune and blueberry, I have also done a chopped chocolate filling that gets rave reviews.

I never use raisins in anything. Can't stand 'em. dried cherries or cranberries would be good. :) or chopped dried apricots. I could see this as a great filling for a yeast coffeecake. :chef:

It is a triangular yeast pastry that is traditionally served at Purim (however there are cookie versions, too). My recipe is reminiscent of Danish.

Mine are not yeast. In fact, I use Maida Heatter's orange cookie dough. It is the closest to my Aunt Sadie's version, and it is awesome. :)

I make apricot, prune, mohn, cheese, cherry, and chocolate yeasted hamantaschen every year. Sometimes several batches as they are part of my mishloach manot baskets. I never liked the cookie ones as well as the yeasted ones. It is probably because I grew up with the yeasted ones. I have been baking them for years. The year that Purim fell on St. Patrick's Day, I decorated the chocolate ones with little green sugar shamrocks so my dad could easily find them. They were so cute! I wish that I had taken pictures.

I do agree that the cheese filling would be wonderful in any kind of yeasted coffeecake or Danish.

Back
Top Bottom