Concord Grape Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Care to share your recipe. Please and Thanks.

I volunteered to transplant friends grape vines tomorrow. They both work and are moving soon. Taking their vines to new house. I've been reading up all weekend the best ways to do this without shocking the plants too much. One literature controversy is transplant in the spring vs fall. Not an option. I get to keep the grapes I pick before pruning.

Mrs Dawg comes from the wine region in the Black Forest and a Grape Torte is made every fall. I wish we had smell-o-net to share your tasty creation.:yum:

Care to share your recipe. Please and Thanks.

I volunteered to transplant friends grape vines tomorrow. They both work and are moving soon. Taking their vines to new house. I've been reading up all weekend the best ways to do this without shocking the plants too much. One literature controversy is transplant in the spring vs fall. Not an option. I get to keep the grapes I pick before pruning.

Concord Grape Pie

2 pie crusts
4-5 c. Concord Grapes
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. Flour
1 T. Corn starch
1 T. Lemon juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Slip skins from grapes, reserve. Cook grape innards for 8 min until soft. Sieve or run through a mill to remove seeds. In bowl, mix together skins, sieved grapes, sugar, lemon juice, flour, cornstarch and cinnamon. Pour into crust (I use 9" deep dish) and put on top crust. Make sure to put in vent holes. Sprinkle crust with sugar, or brush on milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes. Lower temp to 350 and bake 35-40 minutes more. Cool for at least 2 hours so it thickens a bit more before serving.

The farm stands and church bake sales around Naples, New York make these and sell them in the fall, very tasty.

They also make a version with some chopped walnuts tossed in and sell quart jars of the grape pie filling.

I've eaten my share, never made one! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
The farm stands and church bake sales around Naples, New York make these and sell them in the fall, very tasty.

They also make a version with some chopped walnuts tossed in and sell quart jars of the grape pie filling.

I've eaten my share, never made one! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I think the filling can easily be frozen. Slipping the skins takes time, but I may make enough for 4 pies and freeze for winter use. Picky hubby actually liked the pie. But, he had 5 pieces of Raw Apple cake yesterday too. So much for his insulin injections...

The grapes I harvested before pruning and transporting and transplanting today are tiny little green grapes. I expect they wanted these off the property before putting their house for sale. I suspect the grapes are hybrid as they are seedless. I don't believe these are pie quality. Too juicy? My only experience with grapes is picking wild grapes and making jelly. Grape clusters were only 4-5 inches long and the grapes were actually the size of blueberries or smaller. I can't believe our friends haven't been harvesting/ eating, or perhaps they have, and don't birds like grapes? Anyway they were plentiful.

Very sweet, a hint of lemon? Pineapple? some other flavor I can't quite put my finger on. Well, I left a plastic bag full at or friends new home and we each kept an Ice cream bucket too. Which I have freely delved into this evening. Another reason why they will never make it into a pie, heheh.

Transplanting did not go easy. The woody vines of the three plants were about as big around as perhaps a golf ball. Can't remember how long they lived there, and of course, cant determine when the vines may have been planted. The soil was like clay cement, and digging did not go easy. Then we had to prepare the soil in their new place (" we cleared a space for you", they said.) Yeah, right. I didn't expect digging them out would be too easy, I wouldn';t disturb the soil around them either once they are established. Bonus, I found 2 small blue berry bushes under the vines, so I moved them along too and re planted in front of, not under the vines this time.

Not trying to hi-jack your grape pie thread, I just though you might find today's project interestring. This is sort of what the grapes look like. Thanks.

Attachments

• 270px-Illustration_Vitis_vinifera0.jpg
    270px-Illustration_Vitis_vinifera0.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 349
As for growing, I've only ever tried Concord. Next year I want a Thompson seedless for table grapes. Hijack a thread? There's no such thing, or are there thread police? LOL!

Concord Grape Pie

2 pie crusts
4-5 c. Concord Grapes
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. Flour
1 T. Corn starch
1 T. Lemon juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Slip skins from grapes, reserve. Cook grape innards for 8 min until soft. Sieve or run through a mill to remove seeds. In bowl, mix together skins, sieved grapes, sugar, lemon juice, flour, cornstarch and cinnamon. Pour into crust (I use 9" deep dish) and put on top crust. Make sure to put in vent holes. Sprinkle crust with sugar, or brush on milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes. Lower temp to 350 and bake 35-40 minutes more. Cool for at least 2 hours so it thickens a bit more before serving.

One of these would work (I love mine for tomatoes):

Italian Tomato Press | Williams-Sonoma

Or the attachment for the KA stand mixer if you have a KA stand mixer:

KitchenAid Stand Mixer Fruit & Vegetable Strainer Attachment | Williams-Sonoma

Back
Top Bottom