Cornish Pasties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Fi, yes eating a burger with your hands is fine here in the UK, even when eating out, but I can't say that I would ever eat a burger in a "fancy restaurant".

Last month I watched a series of tv programs by Jamie Oliver (I forgot the name of the series) He was touring around Britain and cooking up dishes famous for each area but he explained how they originated somewhere completely different but were just bought in by foreign workers in that area. I never realised that the humble hamburger started off here in Russia:)
The hamburger may very well have started as steak tartare in Russia, and then migrated to Hamburg, Germany, where it got its name, but leave it to us Americans to put it in a bun so that you can now eat them while toodling down the road in your automobile. :)

I agree with Princess Fiona... no self respecting burger should be eaten with knife and fork. Unless it has no bun. But then, it's not really a burger. It's a Salisbury steak. ;)

The hamburger may very well have started as steak tartare in Russia, and then migrated to Hamburg, Germany, where it got its name, but leave it to us Americans to put it in a bun so that you can now eat them while toodling down the road in your automobile. :)

I'm with you all the way on that one Steve!! It might of taken a while to reach you but once it did you certainly knew what to do with it;)

What's your favorite burger topping Steve?

Oh yes! But then I was raised by wolves...:) If a food is served with top and bottom bread, it should be picked up. It that is inappropriate the restaurant should not serve it that way, it should be open face.

I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've eaten in a fancy restaurant in 51 years, and I have enough fingers to have a couple left over. I much prefer the relaxed attitude in less formal settings. I can be cleaned up and presented in classier places and I will act accordingly, but that only lasts until I get the giggles.:angel:

I have been thrown out of church because of the giggles. And don't take me to a wake or funeral. I am the shame of the whole family. Been thrown out of them also. I just can't seem to behave. :angel:

I would be fine until I remembered my Dad's stage whisper of, "Don't eat the doilies," from when I was about 7 years old.:LOL: He didn't care for the robot children act and decided to lighten the mood during dessert.:rolleyes:

I also got thrown of a bus because of the giggles. It had to do with my son#2's birth. I had a houseful of company for Christmas dinner. He decided to arrive right in the middle of my fixing dinner. (My sister delivered him.) I was telling a girlfriend about it and all she said was, "Set another place. One more for dinner." So it was all her fault. :angel:

What's your favorite burger topping Steve?
I'm sort of a purist. If the beef is good, it doesn't need a lot of dressing. A slather of strong mustard is nice. Once in awhile I also like cheese. Sharp cheddar or blue cheese are my favorites with burgers.

I should note I don't eat burgers out very often, but when I do, one of my favorite places is a joint called "Burger Time". Their meat is fresh and they make a mean Mushroom & Swiss. :yum:

Last night there was an article on ABC with Diane Sawyer. It was about pink slime. It seems it is now being added to hamburg in supermarkets. I am so glad I grind my own. There is more pink slime than bonafide beef in each package. They showed a package of pink slime hamburger and one without. What a difference. Stop tampering with my food. :mad:

Last night there was an article on ABC with Diane Sawyer. It was about pink slime. It seems it is now being added to hamburg in supermarkets. I am so glad I grind my own. There is more pink slime than bonafide beef in each package. They showed a package of pink slime hamburger and one without. What a difference. Stop tampering with my food. :mad:

Oh god if I see that I would not be able to eat a hamburger again(as per my post in what's cooking today) What is it nowadays with supermarkets? They are making an absolute killing and most large chain supermarkets are a goldmine and yet still they want to make things cheaper and cheaper to make more of a profit at our healths expanse:( Crazy!!

Sorry I took this thread from pasties to hamburgers btw.

If it makes you feel any better, you've inspired me to make pasties sometime this weekend. :)

Sweet! Good man Steve:chef: Are you thinking of going the traditional route or your own filling recipe? I would really like to make some more and try a few different fillings but I can feel the waistline expanding already:LOL: I made four of those pasties and ate them in the space of 36 hours!!!:ermm: What to do? Food is the spice of life:)

Question. Didn'[t the original pasties have one half veggies and meat and the other half dessert? And the pie crust had a sort of thick handle on one end to protect the food from the coal dust of miners hands? Oh all right. Two questons? Do they still make them that way? Three questions. I get carried away. :)

The handle was used by some, while in a nearby town, the seam was on the top.

In Michigan's U.P., the handle was always made on the side, as you said, to provide something for the miners to hold with their dirty hands.

As for the dual filling, that isn't much heard of in the U.S. But I do it with my pasties. My last batch used the traditional potato, diced beef, onion, garlic, and rutabega on one side, with blueberry pie filling on the other. A simple roll of the pastry crust dough divides the two sides. And the savory side is larger than the desert side.

Again, in my home town, we make a pizza pastie, and fill it with whatever is put onto a your favortie pizza, then fold the pie in half, forming a "handle with the exess dough that is buillt in, which also helps seal the thing from leaking. Of course we use piza dough instead of traditional short crust for the pastry.

Yeh, pasties are a large part of our Yooper heritage. Thank you England for sharing this wonderful food preperation with us Yanks.:mrgreen:

Oh, one more thing; It was saide of pasty crust that if it wouldn't survive the fall if accidently dropped down a mine shaft, then it didn't have a proper crust.

Me, I use a super tender and flaky pie crust technique to make my pastys with. I guess I don't make proper pasy crust.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
It does not mean you have to eat them:LOL: At least try to behave.......for a few minutes;)

Have you been to Russia before?

If I behaved myself walking into my parents house, Dad would think I was taken over by a pod monster or Triffid and light me on fire...Mom would just sic the dog on me and I would drown in dog slobber.

I've never been to Russia or Canada or Mexico. I've always wanted to travel, just never had the financial ability to do so. And now that we could possibly be able too, Shrek's health will not allow it. Somehow I don't want to go without him...:ermm:

Princess Fi, yes eating a burger with your hands is fine here in the UK, even when eating out, but I can't say that I would ever eat a burger in a "fancy restaurant".

Thanks GQ, the friends I was speaking of were in a restaurant (china service and all the correct utensils) and the old ladies at the table next to them were eating their burgers with knives and forks...may have also been a generational thing.

My best friend's Mother was from Nottingham and she reveled in eating foods with her hands. And she also taught me the art of tea-making, encouraging my collection of teapots.

attachment.php

The recipe and pictures in the OP look delicious! I can't wait to try this myself!

Would you even eat a burger with your hands in a quite fancy restaurant? I know fancy restaurants don't usually serve burgers but would it happen?

That concept is alien in US. Hamburgers are sandwiches. They are meant to be picked up in the hands and eaten thus. I cannot imagine anybody eating a hamburger with a knife and fork. That treatment should be reserved for open faced sandwiches.

Keema is an Indian dish with minced meat, peas, and whatever else I feel like throwing in it. It's total comfort food.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom