Cornish Pasties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Fi, do you warm your pot first and then let it mash proper?

Loose tea leaves, Warmed pot, tea service, tray...the works. Crumpets and lemon curd. I can also do a respectable Japanese Tea service, too! I have a house full of teapots and cups...and teas. I even have Shrek drinking tea out of a proper tea cup.

A little Googling eventually led me to a website called The Cornish Pasty Association. On it, you can find the "official" pasty recipe. I had to try it.

I think my first pasty attempt came out pretty good. The hardest part is the crimping, but I found a You Tube video that shows you how to do it. Don't you just love the internet?

img_1118108_0_63bdb0196c65089c6a1057b1493a74cb.jpg

And now I must (politely) demand that you post the video. My crimping always looks like it was done by someone with arthritis and two broken thumbs.

A little Googling eventually led me to a website called The Cornish Pasty Association. On it, you can find the "official" pasty recipe. I had to try it.

I think my first pasty attempt came out pretty good. The hardest part is the crimping, but I found a You Tube video that shows you how to do it. Don't you just love the internet?

img_1118111_0_63bdb0196c65089c6a1057b1493a74cb.jpg

My Internet connection is not good enough to support video. Let me guess how they did it. Roll the crust under to get a uniform but plain bead, then use a small knife to slice diagonally at short intervals, which will expand as shown in the image.

And of course the whole was brushed with butter. :)

img_1118132_0_63bdb0196c65089c6a1057b1493a74cb.jpg

That doesn't look like something I could drop down a mine shaft.:LOL:

Instead, it looks like something I would eat with great joy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

img_1118135_0_63bdb0196c65089c6a1057b1493a74cb.jpg

WOW! That's amazing Steve, really good! I found that site you was talking about afterwards:LOL: Even so I don't think I'd get my crimping to come out quite as good as you! I will practise next time to try and get it to look like that and post some photos and you can have a laugh:)

Thanks for sharing and so nice to see that you got inspired by the original post:chef:

Anybody have a short explanation for somebody whose Internet connection is too slow (me) to support video?

Roll it under and slice it every 1/4 inch with a knife?

The pasties I long for from my childhood were traditional (aside from the Heinz ketchup we slathered over them :rolleyes:) so I'll start traditional and find my own way from there.

What route did you take in the end Steve with regards to the filling? I also have memories from my childhood of pasties as we would always have seaside trips to Cornwall as kids and eat a pasty sat on the beach:)

Thanks Fiona, I was trying to think of how to explain it.

Even the Cornish Pasty recipe I downloaded describes crimping this way: "Crimping is the secret to a true Cornish pasty but it really has to be taught. It is almost impossible to describe." :)

Probably professional chefs will disagree with me but I believe that an amateur chef can learn almost anything in cooking if only motivated enough and willing to keep trying until the technique is mastered.

PF's link was very explanatory and easy to follow. I'm sure it would take an amateur like me several times to get it right.

I just googled "how to crimp a pasty" and skipped over the videos, this was the first one I looked at.:LOL:

We get a lot of tourists from the UK. They end up at Fanuiel Hall. Your typical tourist trap. My favorite place to watch women try to manage the cobble stones in high heels. It would be an ideal place for someone to start up a stand for pasties. Of course they couldn't call them Cornwall Pasties. Perhaps Miner's Pasties. The problem is trying to get a spot there. There is a waiting list. In the meantime they could get a vendor's street license.

Our stupid Mayor Mummbles Mennino tried to stop all street vendors from selling at the Goverment Center Plaza. Between City Hall and the JFK Federal Office Buuilding, there are thousands of employees pouring out at lunch time that buy their lunch at these stands. His idea didn't get any support and was quicly voted down by the public and the City Council. It woud be an ideal spot for the pasties. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom