Cornish Pasties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We get a lot of tourists from the UK. They end up at Fanuiel Hall. Your typical tourist trap. My favorite place to watch women try to manage the cobble stones in high heels. It would be an ideal place for someone to start up a stand for pasties.

Am I the only person who understands the double entendres possible with the word "pasties." ;)

Pasty (disambiguation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Considering other interpretations the description above is a bit ROTFLAMO. :)

Last edited:
What route did you take in the end Steve with regards to the filling?
I decided to go mostly traditional and used a mix of skirt steak, potato, swede, onion, and minced garlic.

img_1118157_0_5905e8cbaf880c517b513f1fe498ff23.jpg

Last edited:
We get a lot of tourists from the UK. They end up at Fanuiel Hall. Your typical tourist trap. My favorite place to watch women try to manage the cobble stones in high heels. It would be an ideal place for someone to start up a stand for pasties. Of course they couldn't call them Cornwall Pasties. Perhaps Miner's Pasties. The problem is trying to get a spot there. There is a waiting list. In the meantime they could get a vendor's street license.

Our stupid Mayor Mummbles Mennino tried to stop all street vendors from selling at the Goverment Center Plaza. Between City Hall and the JFK Federal Office Buuilding, there are thousands of employees pouring out at lunch time that buy their lunch at these stands. His idea didn't get any support and was quicly voted down by the public and the City Council. It woud be an ideal spot for the pasties. :chef:

PF that really started me thinking! Here in Russia they are big on there pies (пирог - Pirog) with mostly sweet fillings such as cottage cheese, apple, berries and plums and also savoury like mushroom, potato, fish and meat but even though a pie they're nothing like a pasty and not as tasty. Now I'm thinking how successful a Pasty shop would be here in Moscow, not just for the locals but for the thousands of expats like myself that are here!! I could always start making a few and take them into the office and see the response?:) Actually, we have a small canteen in our office building and maybe I could make some for her to sell as this gets a steady stream of people everyday and see how they sell............thoughts thoughts thoughts.......dreams dreams dreams!

I decided to go mostly traditional and used a mix of skirt steak, potato, swede, onion, and minced garlic.

img_1118167_0_5905e8cbaf880c517b513f1fe498ff23.jpg

They look delicious Steve, after tasting mine using the traditional ingredients it seems a shame to start messing around with ingredients because they are so tasty and a meal in themselves!

No, I made FIVE of them today. They were enormous. DW and I split one for dinner. I'll probably be eating them for lunch for the next few days. :chef:

By the way, the one on the bottom right was my first crimping attempt. Can you tell, lol??

img_1118167_1_618f1a73a0360359896ae38094c13a64.jpg

If they last a few days you have good willpower:LOL:

You certainly picked it up fast if that was your first attempt, Respect!!!

No, I made FIVE of them today. They were enormous. DW and I split one for dinner. I'll probably be eating them for lunch for the next few days. :chef:

By the way, the one on the bottom right was my first crimping attempt. Can you tell, lol??

I think you and I are a lot alike--you're probably retired too or at least have a lot of free time--except I don't have any decent kitchen. I would have been sorely tempted to try making these pasties too today, or torn between them and one of the recipes out of my recently (and temporarily) acquired Pioneer Woman cookbook. Perhaps by summer I'll be fixed up with a good kitchen and pantry, and hopefully a large enough audience that I don't have to eat all the food myself.

Yes I can tell the BR is your first attempt but you did climb up the learning curve very quickly! :)

PF that really started me thinking! Here in Russia they are big on there pies (пирог - Pirog) with mostly sweet fillings such as cottage cheese, apple, berries and plums and also savoury like mushroom, potato, fish and meat but even though a pie they're nothing like a pasty and not as tasty. Now I'm thinking how successful a Pasty shop would be here in Moscow, not just for the locals but for the thousands of expats like myself that are here!! I could always start making a few and take them into the office and see the response?:) Actually, we have a small canteen in our office building and maybe I could make some for her to sell as this gets a steady stream of people everyday and see how they sell............thoughts thoughts thoughts.......dreams dreams dreams!

And I meant Addie, sorry:LOL: Just getting a busy thread and I got confuzzled:rolleyes:

Actually, we have a small canteen in our office building and maybe I could make some for her to sell as this gets a steady stream of people everyday and see how they sell............thoughts thoughts thoughts.......dreams dreams dreams!

The big question is whether your day job pays better, or if your off job might have big growth potential. I can see it now: Jonny Jonny's Olde UK Pastie Shoppe!!! :) Moscow, London, New York and Tokyo... Coming soon to Los Angeles, Paris, Madrid, Rome and Buenos Aires!

Actually Jonny Jonny's wouldn't make a bad restaurant chain name. :)

Last edited:
The big question is whether your day job pays better, or if your off job might have big growth potential. I can see it now: Jonny Jonny's UK Pastie Shoppe!!! :) Moscow, London, New York and Tokyo... Coming soon to Los Angeles and Buenos Aires!

:LOL::LOL: Loving it!!! I can already see the neon signs above the shop door:LOL: Maybe it's not a dream after all?? Maybe it's just meant to be??:chef:

But seriously, yes my day job pays ok or else I would not be living in a very overcrowded city, minus temperatures in the winter, smoke and smog in the summer and 8 million people going in and out of the metro in the morning going to work with no sign of a smile. No, hold on, it's not really that bad here and not just the money but I can think of better places to be if you know what I mean? I would just like to start a business that I'm passionate about and that's food and here in Moscow it's big trade and still not too late to come up with new ideas as Moscow is still changing even though it's changed dramatically over the last 15 years. I'm just a small fish in a large ocean though so it will probably just remain a dream and in a years time when I see Igor Borisov's Pasty shop I'll be gutted:LOL:

I have thought of purchasing a lunch truck, having it vinyl wrapped as a giant rolling Union Jack, and doing simple English workers food. Do Pasties, Pork pies, pork sandwiches with crackings, PROPER Fish 'n Chips in newspaper, PROPER Scotch Eggs, and maybe some treacle for desert. The lunch truck market is HUGE in DC(and most every other major city), and there isn't anything like it, yet you have lunch trucks getting $22 for a lobster roll and fries, all day. . .just ridiculous.

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but a proper Cornish pastie has a large pastry rim/fold, so that the workers could hold it BY the pastry rim, and eat the rest without getting it dirty from their hands.

JJUK I've never been to Moscow or RU at all but I've read many novels set in Moscow and it seems like a pretty dreary place, particularly in winter (at least from the novels). Out of my list of cities I nominated for your first openings perhaps all of them are preferable to Moscow.

I think you and I are a lot alike--you're probably retired too or at least have a lot of free time
I'm still a few years away from retiring (and with the hit that my 401k and investments have taken in the last few years, it may be longer now) but I do have the advantage of working from home quite a bit. So it's very easy to roll out of bed early in the day, get my work done, and then have three or four hours to futz around in the kitchen. Sometimes I'll even whip up bread or throw meals together late at night.

What a fun thread!

I've been taking baby steps with baking the past two months. Pasties look and sound so good, I think I've found my first attempt at a dough. I'm resigned in advance that they'll be ugly, maybe an affront to tradition. The practical purpose of crimping is to seal the pasty, right? and any technique less than a 100% seal will be an oven disaster? As long as it works, I can use a sledgehammer as my crimping tool?

Thanks for the recipe, JJ, you made it look doable for me.

And I meant Addie, sorry:LOL: Just getting a busy thread and I got confuzzled:rolleyes:

No apology necessary. Go for your dream. You will never know unless you try. I love that word confuzzled. Start out with trying them on your friends. Your first ones you may have to eat yourself to hide the evidence of your mistakes. But the more you make the better you will get. Have a party with the pasties as the main item for the night. Pasties make for an excellent food for those cold winter days. Just remember, flour and bread products are not to happy with being nuked. They need to be heated up in a small or conventional oven. Good Luck! :chef:

What a fun thread!

I've been taking baby steps with baking the past two months. Pasties look and sound so good, I think I've found my first attempt at a dough. I'm resigned in advance that they'll be ugly, maybe an affront to tradition. The practical purpose of crimping is to seal the pasty, right? and any technique less than a 100% seal will be an oven disaster? As long as it works, I can use a sledgehammer as my crimping tool?

Thanks for the recipe, JJ, you made it look doable for me.

You can use a sledge but, if you miss you will have a big mess:) Egg wash the inside edges and crimp with the tines of a fork, works great! Work up to the fancy crimping.

Oh yes! But then I was raised by wolves...:) If a food is served with top and bottom bread, it should be picked up. It that is inappropriate the restaurant should not serve it that way, it should be open face.

I think Emily Post would agree with that. In Denmark the sandwiches are usually open-faced and eaten with a fork and knife, even in the cafeteria. Okay, some of them are so loaded it would be hard to pick them up. :LOL:

I think Emily Post would agree with that. In Denmark the sandwiches are usually open-faced and eaten with a fork and knife, even in the cafeteria. Okay, some of them are so loaded it would be hard to pick them up. :LOL:

I think it makes sense that open faced sandwiches should be eaten with knife and fork, while sandwiches served between two pieces of bread or bun should be picked up. I think Ms. Post would agree that the most important thing in eating etiquette is to not be nor appear awkward. That's what the "rules" of etiquette are all about, not appearing awkward and not embarrassing yourself or your company by awkward behavior.

Back
Top Bottom