Crust Rolling Assistance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Selkie

Executive Chef
I'm moving this info to here because it's more relevant...

I purchased the KitchenAid adjustable pasta roller yesterday (Bed, Bath & Beyond - $59.95), but I have no intentions of making pasta. I do, however, bake pies, so I got it in order to roll out a uniform pie crust without having to mess with a rolling pin using my arthritic hands and wrists.

It outputs a 6" wide strip, so overlapping and sealing a center seam from two pieces, I can produce a crust wide enough for either a 9" or even 10" pie.

This was my own idea, but has anyone else ever tried this before?

Sounds like it should work. Just be sure to seal the seam well.

Sealing might be a chalenge depending on filling. If it is too liquidy it might seep thru. Just make sure to close it well.

What a great ides, wish I had thought of it. I may have to ask for a pasta machine for my bday.

I'm moving this info to here because it's more relevant...

I purchased the KitchenAid adjustable pasta roller yesterday (Bed, Bath & Beyond - $59.95), but I have no intentions of making pasta. I do, however, bake pies, so I got it in order to roll out a uniform pie crust without having to mess with a rolling pin using my arthritic hands and wrists.

It outputs a 6" wide strip, so overlapping and sealing a center seam from two pieces, I can produce a crust wide enough for either a 9" or even 10" pie.

This was my own idea, but has anyone else ever tried this before?
When needs must Selkie, my right hand is wrecked with arthritis,I was given a pasta roller for a present, I don't like using fresh pasta apart from making ravioli so I use it to laminate puff pastry and croissants. I hope you are not in to much pain.:)

I use the pasta attachment on my Kitchenaide mixer. I have pretty severe tendonitus and rolling dough and kneading dough can be painful. I swear by the pasta attachment. But, I do prefer to feel the dough and roll it out by hand when I can. I bought my new daughter in law a KitchenAide mixer although she wanted another brand. When i explained that Kitchenaide are made in Michigan and last a lifetime,she was won over. Now, she makes pasta, grinds meat and they use the mixer togther. They love it. Most of the mixers on the market today and expensive and not made in USA or Europe. And, often poor quality appliance.

I will remember this idea for when MY arthritis worsens to the point I need it.

Two suggestions thah may help you be wildly successful with this experiment, Selkie:

1. Be careful how many times you run the piecrust dough through the rollers. Pie crust is more fragile than pasta dough, and can get tough if over-handled. I think I would try for no more than two pass-throughs.

2. If you brush the overlap with a bit of egg white, you should be able to seal the two strips of dough together, and not have any worries about seepage.

No, I've never tried this method for pie crust, but am waiting with anticipation to see how your experiment works. The Imperia may yet get a workout!

Back
Top Bottom