Curled Dock Rhubarb Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timeloyd

Washing Up
Carbondale, Ill. U.S.A. Earth / ZZ 9 Plural Z A
CURLED DOCK RHUBARB
I collect a large handful of Dock greens and rinse them off in my rain barrel. I use Curled Dock's curley leaves or Broad Leaf Dock which tastes like Rhubarb with Rhubarb for a fantastic pie.

MIX ALL THESE INGREDENTS TOGETHER IN ORDER GIVEN BELOW
~ 3 CUPS CHOPPED (1 inch sections) RHUBARB STEMS (ABOUT 1/ lb.),
TAKE CURLED OR BROAD LEAF DOCK LEAVES AFTER RINSING. SHAKE OFF WATER AND HOLD TIGHTLY TOGETHER IN A BUNCH.
CUT IN 1 INCH SECTIONS FOR 2 CUPS PACKED CURLED DOCK LEAVES
1 CUP SUGAR
1 TBSP FLOUR
2 LARGE EGGS
1 TSP VANILLA,
2 TBSP BUTTER

PUT MIX ASIDE AND OIL PIE PAN WITH PEANUT OIL USING THE CAP FROM THE CONTAINER OF PEANUT OIL ~ BEST FOR BAKING. I USE A ROUND CAKE PAN I CALL A DEEP PIE PAN.
TO MAKE THE CRUST ~ COMBINE 2 1/2 CUPS FLOUR,A DASH OF SALT.
REMOVE 1/4 OF IT. TO WHAT IS LEFT ADD 1/2 CUP PEANUT OIL.
MIX WELL THEN ADD REMAINDER OF THE FLOUR.
COMBINE AND ADD 1/2 CUP WATER TO THE MIXTURE, AND MIX WELL.
PRESS PIE CRUST INTO THE PAN WALKING IT UP THE SIDES. PUT CRUST ASIDE.
MIX RHUBARB INGREDIENTS TOGETHER AND PUT THEM IN THE CRUST IN AN OILED ( 1 CAP OF OIL CONTAINER) PIE PAN MAKING SURE IT IS LEVEL. PUT IT ASIDE.
TO THE REMAINDER OF CRUST MIXTURE IF ANY ADD 1/2 CUP SUGAR, 1/3 CUP SLICED BUTTER, !/2 FLOUR.
IF NO CRUST REMAINS MAKE A CRUST AS YOU DID TO PUT IN THE PIE PAN AND USE IT.
SPREAD 1 HAND FULL OF FLOUR ON THE TABLE OR CUTTING BOARD. PUT TOP CRUST MIX ON IT AND ROLL IT OUT TILL 1 INCH BIGGER ROUND THEN THE PIE PAN. USE BIG/LONG KNIFE TO CUT DOUGH INTO 1 INCH STRIPS PUTTING THEM SIDE BY SIDE ON TOP OF THE PIE LIKE A JIG SAW PUZZLE.
MIX EVERYTHING TOGETHER AND SPRINKLE ON TOP OF PIE INGREDIENTS EVENLY TILL COMPLETELY COVEREDSMOOTH CRUST FLAT WITH REAL COLD BUTTER KNIFE.
I always KEEP some butter knives in the frezzer as foods won't stick to them when cold enough.
MELT 1 CUP BUTTER IN A SMALL PAN ON TOP OF THE STOVE AND SHUT OFF. PUT BUTTER BRUSH NEAR BY.
PUT IN 425 DEGREE PREHEATED OVEN 15 MINUTES. BAKE AT 350 DEGREES FOR 30 MINUTES LONGER. TAKE THE PIE A LITTLE BIT OUT AND USING A CLEAN UNUSED STERALIZED BRUSH OR ONE USED ONLY FOR THIS PURPOISE ~ BRUSH THE BUTTER ALL OVER THE TOP OF THE PIE AND ALONG THE SIDES EVENLY. ONCE I COULD NOT FIND MY BUTTER BRUSH SO USED A LADEL SPOON > I PREFER THE BRUSH.

BAKE 10 MINUTES LONGER OR UNTIL THE TOP IS GOLDEN BROWN. THEN IT IS DONE. REMOVE FROM THE OVEN > LET IT COOL. SHARE AND ENJOY

http://www.floralimages.co.uk/prumexcrisp.htm

Dock
http://www.foodsubs.com/Greenckg.html

Last edited:
I would be careful with that rain barrel. You never know what kind of wild animals could be urinating in it, or what types of pesticides and chemicals may be in it.

Mylegsbig said:
I would be careful with that rain barrel. You never know what kind of wild animals could be urinating in it, or what types of pesticides and chemicals may be in it.

I use a very large plastic garbage can never used for anything else at the corner of the house as a rain barrel. I put it's very tight cover on it to seal it when it is not raining and only take it off after it starts raining during the storm, and when rinsing greens when it is not raining.
To rinse my greens I dip them in it and then shake them off. I like it because the rain is soft water as opposed to the hard water in the sink and I feel it is better for the vegetables.
As for Vermints none can get into it unless they chew through the plastic. It has only been used for collecting rain water so vermints would not be attracted to it as they only go for containers with food in them.

Back
Top Bottom