Freezing Strawberry Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mary Microwave

Assistant Cook
I love strawberries.

We get a lot all at once from our garden and this year, I'm trying new (new to me) ways to make them last.

Strawberry pie - Folks love my very simple Strawberry pie (Graham crust, berries, sugar & cornstarch). Unfortunately they don't last. They seem to take on a whitiesh gray color and begin to crack. Looks really Ick!
img_830403_0_497d7bfea93873421750bef12a11b9d7.jpg

Despite the appearance, they never go to waste. My husband eats anything. Bless his heart. He says the still taste fine, but I'm not serving such pies to my kids or guests.

So, I'm taking my fresh pies :) with nice fresh bright red color.
img_830403_1_b2596084f0b7e98104d62cbd7a4dfb39.jpg

I'm going to freeze the pies before they get that off color. I'm concerned about freezer burn, so I'm covering the top with a thin layer of cool whip.

img_830403_2_fdbb6fd98531c1ee2fcbbf65f68bf3ac.jpg

Will the topping get runny after thawing when I serve them? I don't know. We'll see in a couple of months when I take them out of the freezer.
(I'm also making jam and freezing berries for shortcake. But those will be separate posts)

Any similar experiences?

I never have that problem.
Here is my recipe, can be used with either strawberrys or rasberies

1 pie crust - baked and cooled
( regular pie crust or I have use the kebler shortbread but like a regular one best)

Sliced strawberries Or Rasberrys (qt to a qt 1/2)
place into cooled crust,

Bring to a boil, till thickens- 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water, 2 Tbl Cornstarch
Add in 0ne 3oz pkg of strawberry jello (or if using rasberries use rasberry jello)
Pour mixture over over sliced strawberries
refridge till chilled and set.

This pie never has a chance - it is always gone within a day. Soooooooo Good !!!! Enjoy

oops sorry the freezing part didn't register with the brain until this morning.

I have never froze strawberry pie as it never has a chance to. It gone to soon. I have froze the strawberries separte and made the pie with no problem.

The one thing i do is when then are thawing i save the liquid from them and use that instead of the water in my recipe in the above post. If the liquid from the frozen is short of the 1 cup of water - just add water till it is a cup.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom