Funeral Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
Funeral Pie

Ingredients:
2 cups raisins
2 cups water
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 pinch salt
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Line a pan with half the pastry and chill. Place the raisins and 2/3 cup of the water in a saucepan and heat over medium heat for 5 minutes. Combine the sugars, cornstarch, spices, and salt in a bowl and , mixing all the time, slowly add the remaining water. Add this mixture to the heating raisins. Cook and stir this until the mixture starts to bubble. Add the vinegar and butter and heat until the butter is melted. Cool until just warm. Pour into the prepared shell and top with the second crust. Bake 25 minutes or until golden. Cool.

I'm clueless, unless it is a pie commonly taken to families when they have a death in the family. Maybe someone knows the history behind this pie.

Found this when I did a search.

Also called Raisin Pie and Rosina Pie (German for raisin). For many years raisin pie was served with the meal prepared for family and friends at the wake following a funeral. The probable reason was that this pie could be made at any season and kept well when prepared a day or two before the funeral. It does not need refrigeration. This pie traditionally is served at funerals of Old Order Mennonites and Amish

Cool, thanks Raine. My Uncle LOVES sour cream raisin pie so I will try this one out on him.

Back
Top Bottom