Giant Profiterole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I made dutch babies for breakfast this morning, and had a bit of batter left over. I had poured the batter into 8 inch cast iron pans to make two dutch babies, one for DW, and one for me. They came out great.

That remaining batter was just enough to coat a 6 inch cast iron pan that I had heating in a 425 degree oven. I put a could tbs. butter into the pan and swirled it, and put in the batter. I put the pan back into the oven for 17 minutes. I toook it out to find a domed pastry that, unlike dutch babies, was crips all over, and didn't fall in the center. I cut the top off to find a completely hollow inside, with a crisp shell all arount, like an elclair, or profiterole.

This pastry could easily have had a small hole put in the top, and then filled with pastry cream, fuite filling, or a sweetened cream cheese fillingl You could also fill it with chocolate sauce and swirl it all over the inside, or with somethng savor. The possibilities are endless. So here's the recipe.

1 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbs. vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1 cup milk
2 tbs. butter

Whisk together all ingredients until smooth. Place the butter into the hot pan and swirl to coat the bottom and sides. Pour enoough batter into preheated 8 inch heavy, oven proof pan. Bake in oven for 15 to 17 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and turn upside down to take the pastry shell from the pan. Now what you do with it is up to you. Enjoy.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom