Help - Chocolate Cream Pie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrotherMalcolm

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone, I’m new to the board and glad I found you. I’ve found a recipe for Chocolate Cream Pie but for whatever reason I can can’t get the pie to set. It tastes GREAT but I would really like to be able eat it with a fork, instead of a spoon! Anyway, here’s the recipe I’m using:

1 cup sugar
2 cups milk
1/3 cup flour (the 2nd time I tried making it I added a tbs of cornstarch, to no avail)
Pinch salt
3 egg yolks
2 oz unsweetened chocolate

Combine everything in a saucepan, simmer it for a while, let cool to room temp, pour it into a prebaked crust, let set for a few hours, and voila! Chocolate Cream Cobbler!!!

If anyone has any ideas as to what I’m doing wrong, or has a foolproof recipe I’d certainly appreciate it. I’d like to get this thing right before Thanksgiving!
:D

here's a recipe that I have that is pretty close to yours only instead of 1/3 cup flour, it has 1/3 cup corn starch.

Chocolate Cream Pie with Oreo Crust

Crust:
1-1/2 cups finely crushed Oreo cookie crumbs
3 tbsp. melted butter

Filling:
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/8 tsp. salt
4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
3-1/2 cups milk
1-1/2 tsps. vanilla extract
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped

To make the crust, generously butter a 9 inch glass pie plate. In a large bowl, stir together the cookie crumbs and the melted butter. (You can crush the cookies in a food processor or blender.) Using your fingertips, firmly and evenly press the mixture into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
To make the filling, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in the egg yolks until well combined. Gradually stir in the milk. Cook the mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly, for about 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the vanilla and chocolates, whisking until smooth. Quickly pour the mixture through a fine strainer into the prepared pie crust. Cover the surface of the pie with a piece of plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming. Cool at room temperature, then refrigerate for several hours or overnight. To create pudding parfaits, spoon alternating layers of the filling and the crushed cookies (without the butter) into stemmed glasses; top with whipped cream and a cookie. Either way, makes 8 servings.

Good Luck!

and voila! Chocolate Cream Cobbler!!!

That's funny...and I apologize for snickering! Been there...

My no-fail recipe is a custard and relies upon eggs to thicken

3 cups milk
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 egg yolks, beaten
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Scald milk with baking chocolate. Mix in sugar, cornstarch, salt, and then stir in milk and cook in double boiler for 10 minutes until thickened.

Stir a small amount of the liquid into beaten egg yolks, being careful not to curdle them, then add the rest of the liquid. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.

Add butter and vanilla extract, then cool. Beat well and pour into pastry shell, top with whipped cream (or meringue), and chill until quite firm.

Chocolate Cream Pie

6 Tbsp flour
¾ cup granulated sugar
¼ tsp salt
2 large egg yolks
1-1/3 cups whole milk, warmed to room temp.
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, grated
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
additional grated chocolate, for garnish

Mix together flour, sugar, salt. Add beaten egg yolks, milk, and grated chocolate; cook over hot water until thick & smooth, stirring constantly. Cool slightly and add vanilla.

Pour into baked pie shell. Cool thoroughly. Just before serving, cover w/ rum-whipped cream and sprinkle over grated chocolate.

BrotherMalcolm. I believe your problem is the same problem a lot of people have in your situation. The answer is really simple. Boil the custard longer.

There appears to be sufficient starch/flour to gel the custard, so my guess is you need to boil, not simmer, the mix until it thickens. It usually takes about a minute or two past the point where the custard boils for it to reach its maximum thickening power. It's important to constantly mix the custard at this point. If you don't, it will burn on the bottom of the pan.

Bring the custard to a boil at MEDIUM heat. This gives it sufficient time for all the mix to heat up. Of course, it's important for you to stir frequently and stir constantly when it approaches the boiling point until it's done cooking.

As you get better at mixing and judging, you can start the mix off on High and cut the heat back as it reaches the boiling point. Cuts down on stirring time. Until you reach that point where you can judge, you need to do it on MEDIUM. Takes longer and requires more work and attention, but it's safer.

This is a to die for, roll your eyes in the back of your head chocolate custard/pudding recipe that you could certainly use for a pie filling -

TRIPLE CHOCOLATE CUSTARD

1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder (recommended: Dutch-process)
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
3 cups whole milk
3 cups half-and-half
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
3 ounces white chocolate, chopped

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt. In a thin stream, whisk in the milk until smooth. In a thin stream, whisk in the half-and-half until smooth. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a saucepan. Over medium heat, whisking the mixture constantly, bring to a boil. Boil gently for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the bittersweet chocolate and vanilla. Fill a large bowl with ice cubes, rest the saucepan on top, and add cold water to cover the ice cubes. Let the mixture cool, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes. Fold in the white chocolate and pour the mixture into 1-cup ramekins, cups, or mugs. Refrigerate until well chilled. The recipe can be made up to 2 days in advance. Serve cold.

And PSi's right about trying to boil the pudding longer - same principle as when you make a flour gravy - the mixture has to boil to thicken it.

Thanks for all the great ideas y'all. I'll definitely give em a try this weekend...along with taking a stab at a Key Lime Pie recipe I found here.

Back
Top Bottom