"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2021, 07:20 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Help figure out problem

I made this recipe today https://thebakingexplorer.com/custard-tarts-gbbo-week-4/

The pastry was great and the taste of the custard was great, it just wasn’t quite set enough. I’m hoping it’s a cooking time or temp issue. Can any of you see any problems with the ratios in the recipe?

Next time I try it would it be better to cook a little longer on the higher temp or a little longer on the lower temp?

Appreciate any advice or tips you could share. This is the first recipe I have found that doesn’t taste eggy!

Kinscy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:19 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Forgot to mention I made them in the muffin tin and not as one large pie.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:33 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Do you know if your oven temperature is accurate? Could it be a bit low? Do you have an oven thermometer to check?

I almost forgot, welcome to Discuss Cooking.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:41 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thank you so much!

Not sure if my oven is at the correct temp. Haven’t had problems with other recipes but I know custard can be hard to get right. I will definitely invest in one before my next attempt!
Old 05-03-2021, 06:45 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Hi Kinscy, Welcome to DC!

LOL... did you wait for them to cool before digging in? LOL - Those look delish! I'm sure I would not have waited!
I know custards often take time to firm up.

An oven thermometer is never a bad purchase but aside from that -

Did you think your yolks looked big enough when cracked open? and/or did you use whole milk? (vs 2% or something like that)

Honestly can't think of anything else that might have gone wrong. But, please note, I am not a baker!

Do you have two muffin tins you could use next time? 6 cup each? You could then take out one tray and leave the other a little longer. Just a thought.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:38 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Thank you :) already I can tell it’s a great community everyone has been so welcoming.

I did wait, it was hard as they looked amazing. Just not quite firm enough. The rest are in the fridge so will see if they are any firmer today.

The yolks were a little small so maybe one more would have helped. Will take a look at that next time.

They were delicious though just not quite the correct texture. Thanks so much for replying :)
Old 05-03-2021, 11:40 AM   #7
Certified/Certifiable

I looked at the recipe from the site address you provided. This is a Crème' Patisserie (Vanilla Pastry Cream) in a pastry shell.

I don't know the U.S. equivalent t the metric measurements used. However, this is the recipe for a traditional pastry crème.:

2 cups milk
▢6 tbsp sugar
▢Pinch salt
▢2 ½ tbsp cornstarch (3 tbsp / 30 g for a stiffer pastry cream)
▢1 tbsp vanilla bean paste / extract / 1 vanilla bean pod
▢5 large egg yolks
▢3 tbsp unsalted butter softened

You cold, if you wanted, bake the pastry shells without a filling, and make the pastry cream on the stove top. Simply beat the egg yolks, and sugar together. Pour the milk and vanilla into a sauce pan. Stir while heating over medium-low heat until it just begins to bubble on the edges. Whisk the cornstarch into the yolk mixture until lump free, and smooth. Scoop out a cup of the hot milk, and slowly stream it into the yolk mixture until smooth. Now With the pot on the lowest heat setting, slowly add the yolk mixture into the pot, whisking continuously until it thickens. When it will coat a spoon without dripping off. pour through a fine-mesh sieve heat proof bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, pushing the wrap down to touch the pastry cram. This prevents a skin from forming. Let cool, then place into the fridge. Your pastry cream can then be spooned, or piped into your pastry cups, into eclairs, into a filled donuts, or profiteroles.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:16 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Crème patisserie is a form of custard.

To see the US customary measurements for that recipe, look below the ingredients list. There is a toggle:

Metric - US Customary

Just choose the one you want to see.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:55 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

I can think of 3 possible issues :

1. slight inaccuracy in the recipe - very common with recipes out there. Try to give it a bit more time. I almost never follow the times to the T, I'm eyeballing all the time :)

2. your oven doesn't measure the temp correctly - again give it more time.

3. you didn't follow this instruction: "Bake te tarts, and then let them cool for 30 minutes before removing from the tin."

I mean the part about waiting 30 minutes before removing the tarts from the tin. Since it's heated it keeps on cooking the tarts as long as they remain inside.

Tags
other