Help figure out problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kinscy

Assistant Cook
I made this recipe today https://thebakingexplorer.com/custard-tarts-gbbo-week-4/

The pastry was great and the taste of the custard was great, it just wasn’t quite set enough. I’m hoping it’s a cooking time or temp issue. Can any of you see any problems with the ratios in the recipe?

Next time I try it would it be better to cook a little longer on the higher temp or a little longer on the lower temp?

Appreciate any advice or tips you could share. This is the first recipe I have found that doesn’t taste eggy!

Do you know if your oven temperature is accurate? Could it be a bit low? Do you have an oven thermometer to check?

I almost forgot, welcome to Discuss Cooking.

Thank you so much!

Not sure if my oven is at the correct temp. Haven’t had problems with other recipes but I know custard can be hard to get right. I will definitely invest in one before my next attempt!

Hi Kinscy, Welcome to DC!

LOL... did you wait for them to cool before digging in? LOL - Those look delish! I'm sure I would not have waited!
I know custards often take time to firm up.

An oven thermometer is never a bad purchase but aside from that -

Did you think your yolks looked big enough when cracked open? and/or did you use whole milk? (vs 2% or something like that)

Honestly can't think of anything else that might have gone wrong. But, please note, I am not a baker!

Do you have two muffin tins you could use next time? 6 cup each? You could then take out one tray and leave the other a little longer. Just a thought.

Thank you :) already I can tell it’s a great community everyone has been so welcoming.

I did wait, it was hard as they looked amazing. Just not quite firm enough. The rest are in the fridge so will see if they are any firmer today.

The yolks were a little small so maybe one more would have helped. Will take a look at that next time.

They were delicious though just not quite the correct texture. Thanks so much for replying :)

I looked at the recipe from the site address you provided. This is a Crème' Patisserie (Vanilla Pastry Cream) in a pastry shell.

I don't know the U.S. equivalent t the metric measurements used. However, this is the recipe for a traditional pastry crème.:

2 cups milk
▢6 tbsp sugar
▢Pinch salt
▢2 ½ tbsp cornstarch (3 tbsp / 30 g for a stiffer pastry cream)
▢1 tbsp vanilla bean paste / extract / 1 vanilla bean pod
▢5 large egg yolks
▢3 tbsp unsalted butter softened

You cold, if you wanted, bake the pastry shells without a filling, and make the pastry cream on the stove top. Simply beat the egg yolks, and sugar together. Pour the milk and vanilla into a sauce pan. Stir while heating over medium-low heat until it just begins to bubble on the edges. Whisk the cornstarch into the yolk mixture until lump free, and smooth. Scoop out a cup of the hot milk, and slowly stream it into the yolk mixture until smooth. Now With the pot on the lowest heat setting, slowly add the yolk mixture into the pot, whisking continuously until it thickens. When it will coat a spoon without dripping off. pour through a fine-mesh sieve heat proof bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, pushing the wrap down to touch the pastry cram. This prevents a skin from forming. Let cool, then place into the fridge. Your pastry cream can then be spooned, or piped into your pastry cups, into eclairs, into a filled donuts, or profiteroles.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Crème patisserie is a form of custard.

To see the US customary measurements for that recipe, look below the ingredients list. There is a toggle:

Metric - US Customary

Just choose the one you want to see.

I can think of 3 possible issues :

1. slight inaccuracy in the recipe - very common with recipes out there. Try to give it a bit more time. I almost never follow the times to the T, I'm eyeballing all the time :)

2. your oven doesn't measure the temp correctly - again give it more time.

3. you didn't follow this instruction: "Bake te tarts, and then let them cool for 30 minutes before removing from the tin."

I mean the part about waiting 30 minutes before removing the tarts from the tin. Since it's heated it keeps on cooking the tarts as long as they remain inside.

I made this recipe today https://thebakingexplorer.com/custard-tarts-gbbo-week-4/

The pastry was great and the taste of the custard was great, it just wasn’t quite set enough. I’m hoping it’s a cooking time or temp issue. Can any of you see any problems with the ratios in the recipe?

Next time I try it would it be better to cook a little longer on the higher temp or a little longer on the lower temp?

Appreciate any advice or tips you could share. This is the first recipe I have found that doesn’t taste eggy!

Just bake them longer, bake until they jiggle when bumped.

When I bake custard based pies, I know they're done when the temperature of the custard in the middle of the pie is 155ºF. IT may be a little 'loose' but will firm up a it cools.

I cook mine in a water bath and let them cool in the oven for about a half hour, with the oven draw open about 3-4 inches.

Back
Top Bottom