Home-Made Eclairs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
These little beauties are filled with Bavarian Cream. They are so tasty. Here's what they look like.how you make them.

What you will need:
Tools:
glass or metal mixing bowl
double boiler
balloon whisk
piping bags with long tip (for piping Bavarian Cream into eclairs)
piping bag with large round tip (for piping the choux paste into eclairs)
Cookie sheet
Parchment Paper

Cream puff pastry, or Choux Paste

This is the real thing. This is the best cream puff, or éclair paste recipe I’ve yet found.

Puff Shell Ingrediants:
1 cup Sifted AP Flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tbs. sugar
1 cup milk
1/3 cup butter
4 large eggs, brought to room temperature

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Sift together the flour, salt, and sugar. Set aside.
Place the milk and butter into a heavy sauce pan and bring to a boil. Add the other ingrediants all at once. Quickly stir to combine, until a smooth ball is formed that no longer sticks to the pan. Remove from the heat and let sit for about two minutes.

Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix with a wooden spoon until completely incorporated. The finished dough should be shiny and form sturdy peaks when raised with a spoon.

Using two tablespoons, scoop out a heaping tablespoon of the dough with one and place onto a greased cookie sheet by scraping the dough free with the other. Leave room for expansion. Place the cookie sheet into the hot oven and bake for ten minutes. Turn down the heat to 350 and cook for an additional 25 minutes or so. Remove and let cook, in a calm area. When completely cooled, carefully Pipe in Bavarian Creme.

Bavarian Cream Recipe:
Ingredients:
2 tbs. unflavored gelatin
1 cup Sugar
2 tbs
3/4 tsp. fine table salt
3 cups milk
3 egg yolks, whisked together. (Use the egg whites to make meringue, or a sandwich)
2 tbs. butter
2 tsp. Vanilla extract
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

Whisk together the sugar, salt, and gelatin in a 3 quart sauce pan. Whisk in the milk. In a double boiler, scald the mixture while stirring to disolve the gelatin. Turn down the heat.
Add ½ cup of the hot liquid to the beaten egg yolk to temper it. Pour the egg yolk into the hot cream and increase heat to medium.. Stir continuously until the Bavarian Cream thickens. Whisk in the butter and vanilla until completely incorporated. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve to remove any lumps. The end result should be a silky smooth Bavarian cream, suitable for using in Boston Cream pie, or to fill pastries, or simple eat from a desert glass.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Attachments

• DSCF0218.jpg
    DSCF0218.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 291
  • DSCF0198.jpg
    DSCF0198.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCF0201.jpg
    DSCF0201.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCF0214.jpg
    DSCF0214.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCF0215.jpg
    DSCF0215.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCF0219.jpg
    DSCF0219.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 144
Yeh, I failed to put in some important details. So here is the correct version of my eclThese little beauties are filled with Bavarian Cream. They are so tasty. Here's what they look like.how you make them.

What you will need:
Tools:
glass or metal mixing bowl
double boiler
balloon whisk
piping bags with 1/2 inch French star tip (for piping Bavarian Cream into eclairs)
piping bag with round tip (for piping the choux paste into eclairs)
Cookie sheet
Parchment Paper

Cream puff pastry, or Choux Paste

This is the real thing. This is the best cream puff, or éclair paste recipe I’ve yet found.

Puff Shell Ingrediants:
1 cup Sifted AP Flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tbs. sugar
1 cup milk
1/3 cup butter
4 large eggs, brought to room temperature

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Sift together the flour, salt, and sugar. Set aside.
Place the milk and butter into a heavy sauce pan and bring to a boil. Add the other ingredients, except eggs, all at once. Quickly stir to combine, until a smooth ball is formed that no longer sticks to the pan. Remove from the heat and let sit for about two minutes.

Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix with a wooden spoon until completely incorporated. The finished dough should be shiny and form sturdy peaks when raised with a spoon.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Fill a piping bag with the choux paste (dough)and pipe 5 inch tubes onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Leave room for expansion. Place the cookie sheet into the hot oven and bake for twenty minutes. Do not peak as it will cool the oven and cause the eclairs to fall. Open oven and prick the ends of the eclairs to allow excess steam to escape the pastry. t
eh eclairs must have formed a lightly browned crust before pricking. Close oven and bake another 8 minutes.
Remove and let cool, in a calm area. When completely cooled, carefully Pipe in Bavarian Creme.

Bavarian Cream Recipe:
Ingredients:
2 tbs. unflavored gelatin
1 cup Sugar
2 tbs
3/4 tsp. fine table salt
3 cups milk
3 egg yolks, whisked together. (Use the egg whites to make meringue, or a sandwich)
2 tbs. butter
2 tsp. Vanilla extract
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

Whisk together the sugar, salt, and gelatin in a 3 quart sauce pan. Whisk in the milk. In a double boiler, scald the mixture while stirring to disolve the gelatin. Turn down the heat.
Add ½ cup of the hot liquid to the beaten egg yolk to temper it. Pour the egg yolk into the hot cream and increase heat to medium.. Stir continuously until the Bavarian Cream thickens. Whisk in the butter and vanilla until completely incorporated. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve to remove any lumps. The end result should be a silky smooth Bavarian cream, suitable for using in Boston Cream pie, or to fill pastries, or simple eat from a desert glass.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the Northair recipe.

they look delicious how did they taste? :)

All I can say is - Yum! The eclair is crispy/soft, without being soggy It has that rich egg-pastry flavor that pairs so well with pastry cream, or Bavarian Cream, though i could see filling them with fruit jams, or pudding such as butterscotch, or pistachio.

Yeh, you'll love them if you make them. I made bunches of them for my youngest daughter's wedding reception. She decided to have a desert recetion, with no savory course. I catered it for her. I made pies, pastries, profiteroles, eclairs, a dozen kinds of cookies, cakes, filled chocolates, etc. I cooked for three days straight for that one. Everyone loved the eclairs at that shindig as well. Just follow the rules, and your eclairs will come out delectable.

Seeeeeya; chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom