I Don't Want To Use Cool Whip!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you want to make sure that your topping 'Holds' then I would go 50-50 with whipping cream and Mascarpone. Just whip them together ( slowly at first or you'll wear it! ) I do this here in France when I make that magical, British favorite TRIFLE for our French friends who think me very clever :chef: it's foolproof and you can add a little icing sugar when you are mixing if you want. I'm not really clever, just found a way around the french cream out of a can thinggy. that is popular here....;)
It's funny isn't it, this thing about trifle and "foreigners". When we were in Spain and had Spanish friends to dinner or there was a "pot luck" type bring-a-dish meal, I was always asked to make a trifle! I think they thought it was the only "English pudding". I got so fed up with trifle making I often threatened to bring a "spotted dog" or a jam roly-poly with Bird's custard instead.

And for the benefit of our American cousins the trifle wasn't one of these thrown together, Ina Garten travesties with just cake, jam and custard and a couple of spoonsful of alcohol. Ours had thin slices of cake (with jam spread on it) and ratafia biscuits all soaked in sherry, fruit and jelly and custard (with rum in it) and whipped cream. I worship at IG's feet but she doesn't understand proper trifle. :)ohmy:Shock, horror, she doesn't even put cherries and hundreds and thousands on top! )

Last edited:
When I make a whipped cream topping for a cake, I just add powdered sugar and vanilla to the cream. Sometimes we also add cocoa powder for a chocolate whipped cream. It holds up with no issues at all.

My concern with this recipe is that the whipped cream is folded into the filling and used as a 'frosting' then frozen. I was concerned that the freezing would cause a problem.

Thanks to all you good folks who offered help, I am no longer in the dark.

When I make a whipped cream topping for a cake, I just add powdered sugar and vanilla to the cream. Sometimes we also add cocoa powder for a chocolate whipped cream. It holds up with no issues at all.

My concern with this recipe is that the whipped cream is folded into the filling and used as a 'frosting' then frozen. I was concerned that the freezing would cause a problem.

The cornstarch that is in powdered sugar does a great job to stabilize it, you just need to use enough of it. I only use gelatin when I know it might sit out for a while, or might not be fully consumed for a few days.

WHAT!
No cherries OR hundreds and thousands.What was the woman thinking? Lets not mention angelica 'leaves' then. My MIL used to make wonderful trifle and her fruit of choice was Mandarin oranges and sweet sherry for soaking the sponge fingers in. Always made it the day before and no-one was allowed near it until she said. Happy days Eh?

My Scottish exDH told me that trifle was bits of dryish angel food cake with Sherry, red Jello, Bird's Custard in layers, all topped with whipped cream. :LOL:

So, I made up my own version: layer of day old sponge cake sprinkled with sherry, a layer of homemade berry gelatin, a layer of homemade vanilla pudding, repeat. End with a layer of whipped cream and decorate with the berries and almond slivers. Guests have always thought it was very good.

If you whip the heavy cream yourself to medium peaks you'll be all right but if you use the sort of whipped cream that comes in an aerosol can it will collapse pretty quickly. If you want the richness cut a little you can add some sour cream or crème fraiche AFTER whipping the heavy cream

And note for Dawg - it isn't food snobbery to prefer one thing over another.

My problem with diet soft drinks is that they taste foul! I'm a (very moderate) gin and tonic drinker and finding tonic that doesn't have saccharine or aspartame in it is really difficult. When I find the sugar version I buy bottles by the half dozen. G&T with "low fat" tonic is really vile.

It struck me funny that you made the second post after the note to Dawg.
:ermm::LOL:

And note for Dawg - it isn't food snobbery to prefer one thing over another.

As you may or may not have noticed, MC, some of us here tend to goof around and tease each other a bit! (not me though, I'm always perfectly serious :LOL:)

As you may or may not have noticed, MC, some of us here tend to goof around and tease each other a bit! (not me though, I'm always perfectly serious :LOL:)

I've gotten into more trouble goofing around and teasing than I ever did when I was intentionally being irritable. :LOL:

Yeah, Andy, you may have solved your problem but, according to DC forum guidelines, this thread will need to continue on for at least another week and six more pages before we can call it a wrap. :LOL:

Yeah, Andy, you may have solved your problem but, according to DC forum guidelines, this thread will need to continue on for at least another week and six more pages before we can call it a wrap. :LOL:

:ROFLMAO: At least someone reads the guidelines! And now for the interpretive dance.

I am often amazed at just how long a thread can be extended when the question was answered in the very first response. :angel:

Don't forget the dissertation on why Cool Whip vs Whipped Cream use is better for the Environment. You know, that plastic tub is made out of petroleum products...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom