I Need Pecan Pie Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I've been making this pecan pie recipe for 5-6 years. It's one I developed by analyzing many recipes. It is a delicious pie and my current favorite.

I had two problems with the pie this year (I made it Wednesday for Thanksgiving and just ate the last piece for breakfast) that concern me and I don't know how to deal with them.

1. This year I used a Pillsbury pie crust. I do that from time to time when I don't feel like making my own. This is the first time ever that the crust stuct to the glass pie plate in places. It's not because the filling leaked and stuck to the pan. There was no leakage.

2. In traditional pecan pie fashion, I arrange pecan nut halves on the surface of the pie. This year, there was a slight burned taste to some of these nuts. Nothing done differently from past years. The rest of the pie baked perfectly. The crust was nicely browned around the edges and underneath. The filling was cooked properly.

I was thinking of cutting out a foil circle and laying it on top of the pie during baking or part of the baking but thought that may screw up the cooking of the filling.

Any ideas?

Here's the recipe:

Andy’s Pecan Pie

1 Pie crust

3 Eggs
1 C Dark Corn Syrup
2/3 C Sugar
Pinch Salt
6 Tb Butter, melted
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 C Ground Pecans
1 C Chopped Pecans
1 1/2 C Pecan Halves

Preheat the oven to 350º F.

Prepare the pie crust and place it into a 9” pie plate. Shape the edge decoratively. Chill.

Mix the eggs, syrup, sugar, salt, butter, vanilla and ground pecans in a bowl.

Spread the chopped pecans on the pie crust.

Pour the liquid mixture on top of the chopped pecans.

Arrange the pecan halves decoratively on top.

Bake for 1 hour or until firm.

Cool before serving.

I've had crust -- both sto bought and home made stick in places...Why? I don't have a clue...

I don't do the pecan halves on top, but have had "that taste" at times --- I always said it was too hot or too long --- or both! Maybe cut it back by 25* or so.

I've always mixed my nuts in with the filling...they still seem to rise to the top...

I have nuts under and in the filling as well as on top.

The oven seems to be OK. All the rest of the baking we did along with Thanksgiving dinner, went perfectly.

I've always mixed my nuts in with the filling...they still seem to rise to the top...

Me, too!

I bake my pecan pie at 375 for 40 - 45 minutes. maybe try that?

Putting the foil over the filling shouldn't affect the cooking, especially if you are careful to put the shiny side DOWN. The dull side reflects less.

I always see pictures of pecan pies with a neat arangement of pecan halves around the top in concentric circles. Are you saying that if I dump a whole bunch of halves into the filling, they will look like that?

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    309.6 KB · Views: 117
lol.. no... they won't look as pretty Andy ... but at my house nobody cares. They dig into so fast NOONE looks at the food they just eat it.

Well Andy, I think the issue was likely that you didn't have the quality control that was necessary to ensure perfect pie. I know where you can find an inspector ;).

Seriously though, the pie crust sometimes sticks with mine too. Doesn't seem to matter if its storebought or homemade. I speculate that somehow the distribution of fat molecules is screwed up.

As for the burned taste, I think you are absolutely right about it just being a shade too hot in the oven. Covering it with foil wouldn't affect the filling as it reacts to the heat from all directions not just the top right? So all you are doing would be protecting the pecans.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm...you making that again for Christmas dinner? I'm on my way if so.

My crust always sticks in places on a pecan pie. Doesn't matter if it's Pillsbury or homemade. The way you said the nuts tasted burnt sounds like not all the nuts tasted that way. My guess is that perhaps some of the pecan halves may have been older than the rest.

Thanks, you guys, for all the helpful information.

beth, I hope I don't lose that number...

I noticed the same thing last year myself. This year I lightly dusted the bottom of the pan with AP flour and the crust did not stick to the pan. I asked my grandma why the crust was sticking and she told me that the temperature of the crust AND the pan must be about the same. If the crust is cool and the pan is warm, which happens in a warm kitchen when so many other things are going on, the crust will sweat and thus, stick. She says to put the pan in another room until you're ready to use it and then sprinkle a little flour in it before you lay the crust in. This absorbs any excess moisture. It was worth a try and it worked!

I noticed the same thing last year myself. This year I lightly dusted the bottom of the pan with AP flour and the crust did not stick to the pan. I asked my grandma why the crust was sticking and she told me that the temperature of the crust AND the pan must be about the same. If the crust is cool and the pan is warm, which happens in a warm kitchen when so many other things are going on, the crust will sweat and thus, stick. She says to put the pan in another room until you're ready to use it and then sprinkle a little flour in it before you lay the crust in. This absorbs any excess moisture. It was worth a try and it worked!

AHA! By George, I think you've got it!

Thinking back to the circumstances that day, this could easily be the answer.

Thanks Dash and give your Grandma a big hug and kiss for me.

This brings up a couple of things I have heard and am wondering if they are true:

One: If using refrigerated pie dough, refrigerate the pan if you are using a metal pan, then let warm up before adding filling and cooking. This will help keep them at the same temp and prevent sticking. Any truth there?

Two: Again when using metal pie tins, use a dull one instead of a shiny one, the shiny one may end up cooking the pie too fast. And truth to that either?

Bonus question: Which is better, glass or metal pie tins?

Thanks all!!

I always use glass pie plates. They seem to give me a nicely browned crust on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom