ISO Best Coconut Cream Pie Recipe Ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goboenomo

Head Chef
If you have ever eaten at Swiss Chalet, and had the coconut cream pie, that's the kind of recipe I'm looking for.

Thank you in advance.

I have never eaten at that restaurant, but this is my mom' favorite coconute merinque pie:

Pie Crust
1-1/2 c flour ½ t salt
2 T cold milk 1-1/2 t sugar
½ c oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Sift dry ingredients into pie pan.
Combine oil and milk in cup, whip with fork and pour over flour mix and mix with fork.
Press into pie plate, prick with fork and bake for 10 minutes.

Mom’s Favorite Pie – Coconut Merinque
Make grandma’s crust
1/3 c sugar ½ c flour
¼ t salt 2 c cold milk
3 beaten egg yolks 1 T butter
1 t vanilla ¼ t almond extract
1 c shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine salt, sugar, flour in pan, add milk.
Heat over medium until 1 minute past boil, remove from heat.
In a bowl put ¼ c hot mixture into egg yolks, pour back into pan.
Add butter, vanilla and almond
Fold in coconut, pour into pie crust and make meringue.

Meringue:
3 egg whites ¼ t cream of tarter 6 T sugar

Mix egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy, gradually add sugar.
Pour on pie when peaks form.
Bake at 350 for 10 minutes, cool and put in fridge.

Thanks Michelemarie. I'll have to try this some time soon.

When you put T and t.... is T tablespoon and t teaspoon?

Try this recipe from my friend Chef Marlene Cochrane of Whitehorse, Yukon. It is simply the best Coconut Pie I (or any of my friends) have EVER tasted. and it is easy to make.

Coconut Dream Pie

2 cup milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch (I used potato starch)
4 large egg yolks
pinch of salt

2 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla

1 ½ cup toasted coconut
3 large egg whites

1 9-inch baked single pie crust
whipping cream

Combine milk, sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks and salt in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, on medium heat whisking, frequently. Meanwhile, toast the coconut in a 350-degree oven, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Once the custard has come to a full boil, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and butter.
Whip egg whites to stiff peaks. (I just freeze the extra egg white for meringue.) Fold the egg whites and toasted coconut into the custard mixture, reserving 2 tablespoons of toasted coconut to sprinkle on the whipped cream topping. Pour into a single baked pie crust. Let cool and top with whipped cream, then reserved toasted coconut.

Basic Pastry

Yield: enough dough for 3 - 9 inch singles or 1 - 9 inch single and 1 double, rolled to about 1/8 inch thickness.

2 cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup butter, cut into 4 pieces
½ cup lard, cut into 8 pieces
9 Tablespoons ice water (approximately)

Stir flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar together. Add lard and butter. Using a pastry blender or two knifes, cut the fats into the flour mixture, until the mixture is crumbly and the fat pieces are no larger than small peas. Add ice water, a tablespoon at a time, sprinkling it over the mixture and stirring. Add only enough water to bind the mixture so that the dough can be pushed together to form a ball. Handle as little as possible. Cover with plastic wrap and chill slightly before using.

Baking:
For single baked crusts-
Line the pie crust with foil and fill with dried peas or beans, bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F. Remove the beans and foil and continue to bake for 5 more minutes.
For a double crust, filled pie-
Make an egg wash of 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water. Brush the inside of the bottom crust. Add filling and place the top on the pie. Brush the top of the pie with the egg wash. If it is a sweet pie, sprinkle it with sugar. Cut air vents in the pie, so that the air can escape easily, otherwise, it will force the sides open while it bakes. Place the pie on a baking sheet and gently tent with foil that has been sprayed with vegetable spray. Bake for 30 minutes in a 425? preheated oven. Uncover and reduce heat to 350?, continue to bake for another 35 minutes. Let cool before cutting.

TIP: I find the easiest way to transfer the rolled dough from the work surface to the pie pan is to fold it in half, then gently lift and place it in the pan, and unfold it. Do not grease pie pans. Always roll your pastry from the center to the outer edges, do not ?steam roll? it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom