ISO Copycat Pop Tart dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I believe that the Kellog's Pop Tart pastry crust resembles shortbread, but without the sugar. I have always enjoyed the pastry flavor, but wished the tart would have more filling. I have made home made varieties of the toaster pastry, but the crust resembled a good pie crust rather than those made by Kellogs, which are good, but not exactly what I want to make.

Anybody know how to make the dough, have a recipe?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, I'm not a pop tart fan but the few I've handled seemed more like a bad pie crust than a shortbread.

According to the TV ads, toaster strudel is better.

Chief, google had all kinds of links, with options all over the food map. If you want, you can check the different links in my search results list. A few include photos that look very close to what a Pop-Tart does. If you find a recipe you're happy with, let us know how things turn out.

Copycat recipes for pop tart dough

Chief, I'm not a pop tart fan but the few I've handled seemed more like a bad pie crust than a shortbread.

Actually, it is, except that I'm trying to learn to make them home made, so when grandkids come to visit, we can make them together. And though the texture is not flaky, it is tender when heated, and in know way resembles a good pie crust. But there is a flavor unique to Pop Tarts that I am trying to get. The recipes I've tried are a little too flaky for the toaster, as I make a very flaky and tender pie crust, that I just can't seem to be able to get to stand up when blind baking the crust for a pie.:ohmy::LOL: But that was another post which gave me lots of great ideas to try.

For this post, I'm looking for that perfect balance of sturdiness, and tender, yummy crust, with that unique flavor of Pop Tarts, but better texture. I know, I set the bar high. But I've got to try, for the DGD's and DGS's, and to bolster my already over-inflated ego.(like I need that! :ROFLMAO:)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Take a look see at this one chief. The pastry calls for corn syrup.

Strawberry 'Pop Tarts' | Serious Eats : Recipes

This was interesting under the comments about this recipe..

Well done. Your recipe, your writing, your cooking and photograph are inspiring.

I have a question about your formula. Why did you chose corn syrup for the dough instead of white sugar? Does the corn syrup have properties that make the dough better?

I love the details. ;-)

Bravetart11:26AM on 12/20/13
@cteavin, thanks so much! Yeah, corn syrup is very crucial to an authentic Pop Tart flavor. It simultaneously sweetens and hydrates the dough, making the final crust soft, barely sweet and slightly mealy. With sugar and water, the dough spreads more as it bakes, resulting in a crisp crust that browns around the edges, like a butter cookie.

Last edited:
Take a look see at this one chief. The pastry calls for corn syrup.

Strawberry 'Pop Tarts' | Serious Eats : Recipes

This was interesting under the comments about this recipe..

Well done. Your recipe, your writing, your cooking and photograph are inspiring.

I have a question about your formula. Why did you chose corn syrup for the dough instead of white sugar? Does the corn syrup have properties that make the dough better?

I love the details. ;-)

Bravetart11:26AM on 12/20/13
@cteavin, thanks so much! Yeah, corn syrup is very crucial to an authentic Pop Tart flavor. It simultaneously sweetens and hydrates the dough, making the final crust soft, barely sweet and slightly mealy. With sugar and water, the dough spreads more as it bakes, resulting in a crisp crust that browns around the edges, like a butter cookie.

I love the idea that he does read and "responds" with a complete answer. Most of the time, folks are just left hanging. :angel:

I would imagine that you could start with a pie dough recipe, but using a food processor to cut in the fat, but instead of pea sized pieces, take it all the way to a sandy texture, and proceed from there. I'd use a flavorless fat. I wouldn't worry about the whole keeping everything cold, since we aren't really looking for flaky, but rather almost crumbly.

I love the idea that he does read and "responds" with a complete answer. Most of the time, folks are just left hanging. :angel:

I was also impressed by the response Addie. I looked at some of her other recipes on that website and there are several interesting ones that the Chief could have great fun with the grands. :yum:

Yup, you can always trust a blond haired, blue eyed kid wearing lederhosen!:LOL:

Try making an oil based pie crust for your faux tarts. The texture is just about perfect

This one is nice: Oil Pie Crust: King Arthur Flour

I sometimes make this with cold pressed coconut oil (in a food processor) for a little richer flavor.

Back
Top Bottom