ISO feedback using Bavarian cream?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
I'm making cupcakes for a friend's baby shower. I want to make a Pimlico cake-inspired cupcake as one of the options. I want to fill yellow cupcakes with Bavarian cream and then frost them with chocolate frosting. I was planning on chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream. I'm wondering if the Bavarian cream will break down if the cupcakes are out on display. I know the buttercream will melt if it's too hot, but I'm hoping the weather will cooperate. I may have to adapt my frosting as it gets closer if high heat is forecasted.
Does anyone have much experience with Bavarian cream? Does anyone have a recipe they particularly love? Thank you in advance!

Bavarian creme will break down under heat, and cause the cupcake to be gooey. You might substitute a cooked vanilla pudding or custard, and add additional flavorings to bring it closer to the flavor of Bavarian Creme.

A stabilized Chantilly Cream (whipped cream flavored with vanilla and sugar) would also make a great filling for your cupcakes, and it doesn't break down under heat due to the added gelatine in the whipped cream.

I once took profiteroles, filled with Bavarian Cream to a work-related picknic. The profiteroles were soggy by the time the crowd got to them. They were beautiful when freshly made.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I just did a test run on the Swiss meringue buttercream and it's all wrong for the pimlico-inspired cupcake. I would need something a bit denser with a richer chocolate flavor. However, it tasted so amazing that I'm going to change the cupcake instead of changing the frosting, so I'm nixing the Bavarian cream altogether. Thank you for the information though, Dad! It's good to know for future reference.

I was told that the frosting/cream I make for my Napoleon is actually called bavarian cream, go figure. But I think, well, I know, it is too runny to be used on cup cakes. I like the whipped ream idea better.

Vanilla Bavarian Cream

Makes 3 quarts

1.5 oz gelatin
10 oz cold water

Crème anglaise:
8 oz egg yolks
8 oz sugar
2 pt milk
0.5 oz vanilla

2 pt heavy cream

1. Soak the gelatin in the cold water
2. In the top of a double boiler: Whip the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla together until thick. Scald the milk in a separate pan and slowly stir it into the egg mixture, beating constantly. Cook over hot water bath, stirring constantly, until it begins to thicken.
3.Stir in the softened gelatin until it is dissolved.
4. Cool the custard sauce in the fridge or over crushed ice, stirring occasionally to keep it smooth.
5. Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks. Do not over whip.
6. When the custard is very thick, but not yet set, fold in the whipped cream.
7. Pour into molds or serving dishes or use to fill donuts, cupcakes, etc.

I was told that the frosting/cream I make for my Napoleon is actually called bavarian cream, go figure. But I think, well, I know, it is too runny to be used on cup cakes. I like the whipped ream idea better.

I was thinking of putting it in a cupcake. :)

Wait, did you just say Bavarian cream Napoleon?? What else is in it?

Back
Top Bottom