King Arthur's No-Roll Crust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've made an oil crust like this. While not flaky, it has a shortbread type texture. Definitely worth a shot for someone who either hates rolling out dough, or just has trouble with it. It was also very tender.

This is a great for someone who wants a homemade pie without fighting with traditional pie crust.

You are Welcome Andy! I enjoy exploring their recipes.

I know many crust challenged people, while I am not challenged, I don't make it anymore for health reasons.

Great for camping, mix dry ingredients ahead, add water and oil to plastic bag, squish until blended! Also nice for making a baking sheet sized pie or pie bars!

PF you could use this for your firemen!

I'm still wanting to try King Arthur's no knead artisan bread.
I need a 8 quart food container "bucket" and some KA flour and a jar of yeast.
I need most everything.

Oh...I also need an army to feed it to!

"Dough sticking to the pin. And to the counter. A rolled-out “circle” that resembles Australia. Or maybe South America. Oh, and just try to pick that delicate crust up and lay it into its waiting pan… it cracks in the middle, the edges fall off, and you end up furiously flinging the whole thing into the trash."

Wow! That sounds like an episode introduction from Christopher Kimball on Cook's Country! Take the worst disaster that has ever happened in anyone's kitchen as a lead-in to THEIR recipe, which of course is SO much better, and also has way too many ingredients and way too many steps, making even the simplest recipe into a boondoggle that would impress any Government agency.

BTW, I will be trying this recipe in the Amoretti Test Kitchen because I stink at making a pie crust. Someone went nuts with the apple purchase last week and we have an entire refrigerator bin full of nice ripe apples. I can see a French apple pie, or a Dutch apple pie of we are out of nuts, in the immediate future. I am making brunch chimichangas on Tuesday, so the pie will have to be tomorrow or wait until Wednesday. I will let all y'all know how it turns out, if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
I have printed the recipe. Can't wait to try it. One question, have you actually made it? how well does it come out of pan, especially with the crumbly top?

I have printed the recipe. Can't wait to try it. One question, have you actually made it? how well does it come out of pan, especially with the crumbly top?

No, I haven't it showed up in my e-mail this morning. I don't "do" pie crust anymore, so I am not likely to try it.

Back
Top Bottom