Koeksisters (SA sweet pastry)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
This is about as South African as dessert gets! Hard work but oh so worth it :)
Make the syrup first to allow it to cool before use. More buttermilk can be added if the dough is too dry. I've added a picture of koeksisters that I found on the net since I haven't made them in a while just to show everyone what they should look like when done. Enjoy!!!!!!

Koeksisters

2 cups AP or cake flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
5 tsp butter
1/2 cup of cultured buttermilk
oil for frying

Syrup

4 cups white sugar
2 cups water
1/2 tsp of cream of tartar
pinch of salt
Juice from 1 lemon

In a large glass mixing bowl sift together all the dry ingredients for the koeksisters. Rub butter with fingertips into dry mix. Add wet ingredients to form a soft dough. Knead well. Cover bowl with clingwrap and rest dough for 20 mins.

Roll out the dough till about 1/4 of an inch thick. Cut into strips a 1/4 by 3 inches long. Place 3 strips on top of each other and press together on one end. Plait the pieces as you would hair and press the other side together.
Continue doing this till all the dough is used up.

Deep fry at 340 F till golden brown and drain on kitchen paper. Immerse still hot koeksisters for a moment in the cold syrup mix and leave on a wire rack to cool.

Method for making syrup:

Mix all the ingredients in a sauce pan till sugar is desolved completely. Bring the mix to a boil without stirring. Boil covered for 1 min and then for 5mins with the lid off. Cool syrup in a fridge if possible.
http://citysearchblog.yellowpages.co.za/citysearchblog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/koeksisters.jpg

Last edited:
Forgotten I'd put my koeksister recipe on DC. I misplaced my book that I wrote my recipe in so this is great news! Think I'll do a search now and see if any of my other missing recipes are on here somewhere lol!

Back
Top Bottom