Lard. Can I subsitute?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robin

Senior Cook
Thumpershere gave a recipe for a pie crust that I want to try. But the only thing I do not have is lard. Can I substitute butter or veg. oil instead?

10-18-2005, 09:38 PM #5 thumpershere2 vbmenu_register("postmenu_182302", true);
Sous Chef
Profile: Location: USA,Minnesota
user_offline.gif

I always had trouble making pie crust until I came across this recipe called, "Never fail pie crust" It's great.

Mix and chill for a 1/2 hr. Enough for 2 double crust.

3 cups sugar

1/2 lb lard

1 tsp salt

1 egg

1 Tlb vinegar

5 Tlb water.
I mix the water and vineger and egg together.
Roll the dough out between wax paper that you have floured. Turn dough over a couple times to keep both sides floured. If wax paper stickes a little just peel it back slow. This makes a very flakey pie crust.

Lard/Strutto does give pie shells a certain body in its flavour. You can use butter instead without problem, but the flavour will be different, it will be less rich.

urmaniac13 said:
Lard/Strutto does give pie shells a certain body in its flavour. You can use butter instead without problem, but the flavour will be different, it will be less rich.

What would be the correct amount for butter?

I recommend you use shortening in place of the lard. Shortening will mimic the properties of lard better than other fats. Substitute equal amounts.

I have used shortning and the crust wasn't the same. Lard is the only way I make my crust now. But maybe yours will turn out with the shortning.

Nothing tastes as good as lard in a piecrust, and it's available in the "lipids" section of your grocery store. Next best thing is butter flavored Crisco.

I've only used butter for pie crust, but I think the shortening would work just fine. Try making one crust with shortening, and try another with butter and see which one you like best. A question for everyone, is lard the same as suet?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom