Lemon Pie...or Tart???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In particular, the idea that Europeans fixed supposed problems with Central and South American foods is quite condescending and close to racist. This is not an uncommon attitude among conquerors. [quote/]

belladonna is in the tomato family, and yes for years tomatoes were considered poisonous.

I get where you are going here, Potatoes and tomatoes, and I am tempted to sing, I say potato, and you say potato......

Am a fond of this:

Banana argument - RationalWiki

Got Garlic, Yeah, if the dialogue is 'fixing problems' true but did Europeans change south, and north American foods? Darn straight. Irish potato famine? One of the best examples of mono culture.

From what I remember hearing somewhere. When tomatoes were first introduced to Europe they used pewter dishes and drinking vessels. Tomatoes react with the pewter and becomes poison.

That's where the fallacy that tomatoes were poison comes from.

Last edited:
From what I remember hearing somewhere. When tomatoes were first introduced to Europe they used pewter dishes and drinking vessels. Tomatoes react with the pewter and becomes poison.

That's where the fallacy that tomatoes were poison comes from.

That's right! Thanks for the reminder. Aristocrats in Europe used pewter dishes, which are high in lead. The acidity of the tomatoes reacted with the pewter, putting the lead in the food. A perfect example of the "false cause" logical fallacy, where people presume "that a real or perceived relationship between things means that one is the cause of the other."

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/false-cause

That's right! Thanks for the reminder. Aristocrats in Europe used pewter dishes, which are high in lead. The acidity of the tomatoes reacted with the pewter, putting the lead in the food. A perfect example of the "false cause" logical fallacy, where people presume "that a real or perceived relationship between things means that one is the cause of the other."

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/false-cause

I just got lost in that website for a while!

Can I ask you a question? Twice in this thread, I've had to say to you, "I didn't say that, I said this." I think of myself as a pretty clear communicator. Am I kidding myself?

Perhaps I am reading you wrong, or am a poor communicator myself.

I think I have a different definition of monoculture than you do? Or at least a different reading of it.

Tend to go out of my way, with my cooking, to NOT get spelt, grain, and rice from the big providers, get my flour local, and I've been there when they grind the grain for it.

Now I'm not being precious, and I am being a little pretentious, but I can afford a dollar a pound more to get flour from someone I know and who's wheat fields I've seen. This is an example.

That was my idea, and generally my idea. If I had another communication problem, I will take the ownership of that and try to correct. You're fine in my book, if I am not in yours, please let me know.

TBS

Perhaps I am reading you wrong, or am a poor communicator myself.

I think I have a different definition of monoculture than you do? Or at least a different reading of it.

Tend to go out of my way, with my cooking, to NOT get spelt, grain, and rice from the big providers, get my flour local, and I've been there when they grind the grain for it.

Now I'm not being precious, and I am being a little pretentious, but I can afford a dollar a pound more to get flour from someone I know and who's wheat fields I've seen. This is an example.

That was my idea, and generally my idea. If I had another communication problem, I will take the ownership of that and try to correct. You're fine in my book, if I am not in yours, please let me know.

There is one definition of monoculture - "the use of land for growing only one type of crop."

This is not a plant breeding method. It's an agricultural method.

This is what we were talking about (below). Indigenous Americans ate nightshade fruits. They were not poisonous and Europeans did not breed them to be soft, juicy and not poisonous. I'm not saying Europeans did not develop new types of tomatoes, etc. I am saying they were not "small, hard and poisonous" before Europeans came along and "fixed" them.

Nothing to do with monoculture.

Did you mean that nightshades are indigenous to Central and South America and also that the populations there consumed them? From what I read, they did not do so, but I will stand corrected. In the wild tomatoes were small and bitter - it was Europeans who bred tomatoes for ages til they became soft and juicy and tasty. About other members of the nightshade family, I don't know for sure. This may be true of potatoes; as to eggplant, I know nothing about it except for knowing that some people with arthritis are advised to avoid all nightshades.

The indigenous peoples rightly knew they were poisonous. Europeans tamed them somewhat, but they apparently still drain calcium. From what I hear. I am not a scientists. :LOL:

I don't know what your preference on where to get your grain has to do with any of this.

Last edited:
I don't know what your preference on where to get your grain has to do with any of this.

I thought that was why you were upset with me, if there is a different issue I'd be happy to address it.

Heck I'd be happy to hear you aren't upset with me at all. That would be best in my life.

Let me know, and pies are larger, tarts are smaller, and I am making a lemon tarte tonight, and will take a picture of it!

I thought that was why you were upset with me, if there is a different issue I'd be happy to address it.

Heck I'd be happy to hear you aren't upset with me at all. That would be best in my life.

Let me know, and pies are larger, tarts are smaller, and I am making a lemon tarte tonight, and will take a picture of it!

I'm not upset. I'm confused. And I'm really not up to trying to explain it again. No big deal, though. Let's just forget about it :)

Hey! ease up. Life is difficult enough. One of the reasons I like DC is your knowledge, and also your civil aproach to questions of all aspects of food. I've just had some more bad news health wise. I find your attitude decent and civil and friendly. It means a great deal to me and, I'm sure, to a lot of others as well. Time to shake hands and get back to the love of cooking again.....please!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Hey! ease up. Life is difficult enough. One of the reasons I like DC is your knowledge, and also your civil aproach to questions of all aspects of food. I've just had some more bad news health wise. I find your attitude decent and civil and friendly. It means a great deal to me and, I'm sure, to a lot of others as well. Time to shake hands and get back to the love of cooking again.....please.

??? Done and done. Not sure why you're bringing it up again 16 hours after the rest of us have dropped it.

Last edited:
Time difference, other issues, need to tell you that you matter, picking things up too late - won't make that mistake again. I've a nice recipe to post, but in another thread. All the best

di reston

di reston

Oh the lemon tart kind of burned and turned out awful. It probably would have been better if I called it a pie ;)

I'll work on it for next time. My mistake is I tried to make a sort of meringue with eggs and such, and just could not get the crust and the filling to temperature at the same time.

This is a common problem with me, I falsely equate baking with cooking and try to improvise. Stew, improvising is good, Lemon Tart, not so good.

as di said, back to the love of cooking. Anyone have a good lime tart/pie recipe while we are talking?

TBS

Oh the lemon tart kind of burned and turned out awful. It probably would have been better if I called it a pie ;)

I'll work on it for next time. My mistake is I tried to make a sort of meringue with eggs and such, and just could not get the crust and the filling to temperature at the same time.

This is a common problem with me, I falsely equate baking with cooking and try to improvise. Stew, improvising is good, Lemon Tart, not so good.

as di said, back to the love of cooking. Anyone have a good lime tart/pie recipe while we are talking?

TBS

When I make a lemon meringue pie, I have the meringue whipped and ready then pour the hot lemon filling into the crust and immediately top it with the meringue. Then right into the oven to cook and brown the meringue.

When I make a lemon meringue pie, I have the meringue whipped and ready then pour the hot lemon filling into the crust and immediately top it with the meringue. Then right into the oven to cook and brown the meringue.

That's the way I do it also.

TBS

I have used my lemon meringue recipe and sub lime zest and juice for the lemon and sub green food color for the yellow. Follow the recipe.

I do the exact opposite, not necessarily on purpose thou. I will make the pie a couple of days in advance. The day of serving I whip the meringue, spread it and into the oven. Never had a problem.

Back
Top Bottom