Meyer Lemon Meringue Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
MsM asked if I had posted this recipe and ya know, I thought i had done so already :shrug: so here we go.

Meyer Lemon Meringue Pie

For the filling:
12 Egg Yolks
2 C, granulated Sugar
6 Meyer Lemons, juiced (approx. 1 C of juice)
2 sticks of Butter, diced
Zest from the Meyer Lemons
This recipe makes approximately 2 pints.
In a metal or glass bowl (heat-proof), whisk the egg yolks and sugar. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water, making sure that the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl. Pour in the juice and stir continually with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon for about 10-15 minutes, until the mixture thickens. Make sure not to allow the mixture to boil. Add the butter and stir until melted and well incorporated. Whisk in the reserved zest. Allow to cool completely and then refrigerate until well chilled and set. I liked to make the filling ahead of time, up to 1 week.

For the crust:
1 ¼ C. AP Flour
½ C. chilled Butter, cut into small pieces
½ tsp. granulated Sugar
½ tsp. Salt
2-4 Tbsp. ice cold Water
I use my FP for this step.
Add the flour, sugar and salt to the bowl of your FP and pulse for just like 5 seconds to combine. Next pulse in the butter just until it looks like course meal. Lastly, with the machine running slowly drizzle in the ice cold water til it just comes together, it may still look too dry, but pour it out on to a sheet of plastic wrap and bring everything together. Shape the dough into a flat disc, wrap tightly in the plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 400⁰F

I roll out the dough between two sheets of plastic wrap, it’s easier that way, into approximately a 13 inch disc, an 1/8th inch thick. If it gets to soft and sticky, refrigerate for about 5-10 minutes to let the butter firm back up a bit. Remove the top sheet of plastic wrap, and use the bottom sheet to help you place the crust gently in a 9 inch pie plate. Trim away all but 1 inch of excess and crimp. I chose to trim the crust right to the edge of the plate, less fuss. Prick the bottom of the crust with the tines of a fork several times; cover with that plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
Remove the plastic and place a piece of parchment paper carefully over the pie shell and fill with pie weights, dried Beans or uncooked Rice. Bake for 10 minutes and then remove the paper and rice; bake for another 12 minutes until golden brown. Cool completely on a rack. Once the shell is cooled spoon in the filling and spread it out evenly. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until the filling is firm.
In the mean time, make your meringue.

For the Meringue, I made a Swiss Meringue.

4 Egg Whites
½ C. granulates Sugar
¼ tsp. Cream of Tartar
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
Pinch of Salt

In a glass or SS bowl over a pot of simmering water, add all of the ingredients, except for the Vanilla and stir continually until the mixture reaches 160⁰. Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a hand mixer) and beat the egg mixture until you reach soft peaks. Gently stir in the Vanilla.
Remove the plastic from the filled pie shell and add about half of the meringue, spreading it out to the edge of the crust, covering the filling completely. Now mound the rest of the meringue, making lots of peaks that will brown and look pretty. I used a large open star tip, Wilton® 1M, and a pastry bag filled with the remaining meringue to decorate the top. Hold the bag at a 90 degree angle to the surface of the pie, squeeze and pull up to create those beautiful peaks.
I used the broiler to brown the meringue, but I’ve asked Santa Claus for a propane torch for the next pie.

meyer lemon meringue pie.jpg

meyer lemon meringue pie1.jpg

meyer lemon meringue pie2.jpg

meyer lemon meringue pie3.jpg

I was just thinking about this recipe a bit farther,
you really could use regular Persian Lemons,
you don't have to use Meyers, but we do prefer them.
DH told me to take a few pieces of pie next door to our peeps,
and they all went nuts-o.
"Meyer Lemon, what's that?" "YUM! I don't care this tastes great!"
Thank you, thank you all very much :chef:;):cool:

Looks wonderful, and from the responses you got from neighbors they agree. The Meyer lemons I am used to have a very mild flavor. I'm used to the others. I like almost a bite to the lemon taste. We don't often see Meyer lemons in New England.

Copied and pasted, Thanks Kgirl!

Thank you PF, let me know if you do try it. I liked the Swiss Meringue this time better, it doesn't weep.

Thank you for the recipe Kgirl.

You're more than welcome MsM!

Looks wonderful, and from the responses you got from neighbors they agree. The Meyer lemons I am used to have a very mild flavor. I'm used to the others. I like almost a bite to the lemon taste. We don't often see Meyer lemons in New England.

We like Meyer Lemons, a bit different, but regular Persian Lemons have their place as well, I think anyways.

That looks REALLY good!

Mahalo plenty med!

Back
Top Bottom