Mince Pies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYBrit

Senior Cook
here's a question that some of the Brits on here migh know. I want to make some home made mince pies for Christmas but have never done it before. My Mum used to make them years ago and they were delicious. She never showed me how she made them and sadly she passed away 10 years ago and I would love to learn how to make them. Any ideas?

here's a question that some of the Brits on here migh know. I want to make some home made mince pies for Christmas but have never done it before. My Mum used to make them years ago and they were delicious. She never showed me how she made them and sadly she passed away 10 years ago and I would love to learn how to make them. Any ideas?

You made me curious - never had mince pies that I can rememer unless it was in my early childhood. So I went searching. A quick review of mince pie recipes suggested that most are suggesting a purchased mince mixture. Here is a good detailed description of what to do then, very thorough. Maybe it would help, that and a more extensive review than I did.
Christmas Customs - Traditional Christmas Mince Pie Recipe

Last edited:
Fruit Mince Pies

This is the recipe for my mum's Fruit Mince Pies. She is a Londoner from the time of WW2, so you might want to use something other than suet. It gives this thick coating at the back of your throat when you aren't used to it.

Fruit Mince
2lbs cooking apples, after peeling
1lb raisins (make sure they are the stoned variety)
1lb sultanas
1lb currants
3/4lb mixed fruit (with or without peel - your choice)
1lb suet
1lb caster sugar
grated rinds of 2 lemons
juice of 3 lemons
1 nutmeg, grated
one good slosh of brandy

Place all fruit, peel and suit through a mincing machine, coarse grade. Stir in sugar, grated rind and the juice, nutmeg into the fruit mix. Sprinkle in a few extra whole currants and the brandy. Mix thoroughly. Put into jars and seal well. Keeps for ages.

[Personal preference is rather than using all of that nutmeg, we substituted mixed spice and I think cinnamon for about half of the nutmeg, or more, depending on the day.]

Fruit Mince Pies
To make the mince pies, roll our sweet shortcrust pastry to desired thickness. Cut to size of patty tins, and place in holes. Fill with mince mixture and cover with extra pastry, sealing the edges well. Stick knife in top of each pie to form a steam hole, and then glaze pies with beaten egg. Cook in hot oven for 20 to 30 minutes until just golden. Dust with icing or caster sugar before serving if desired.

[Variation, rather than topping with a pie top, you can use cross-strips to make fruit mince tarts instead.]

The link David supplied mention's Robertson's Fruit Mince and that was mum's standby cheat for when we suddenly needed more pies/tarts. Used to go off quicker than mum's version but you could keep either for months and months in the fridge without it going off. Don't know that you could still do that with the commercial one as times change and so do products.

If this recipe doesn't grab you, try this link to see if there is something more appealling.

Welcome to The Foody UK & Ireland

Bilby it's always so nice to see your great ideas first thing every morning!!

It never crossed my mind to figure out making my own fruit mince, I've always bought the little box of dried filling my dad used. It sounds wonderful! 'cept no-body in my house would eat it. Oh well, 'tis the season for pound-packing on!! :pig:

Ah Suzie, that's the beauty of living on the other side of the world from you. I get time to think cos you guys are all asleep so the posts aren't as fast 'n' furious as when you're all logged on. When I log on in the morning there are usually three pages of new posts for me to check out!!! No wonder I never get anything else done!!LOL

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have a few ideas now so soon I will try my luck at making some. I'll let you know how they turn out :chef:

Bilby it's always so nice to see your great ideas first thing every morning!!

It never crossed my mind to figure out making my own fruit mince, I've always bought the little box of dried filling my dad used. It sounds wonderful! 'cept no-body in my house would eat it. Oh well, 'tis the season for pound-packing on!! :pig:

I can so relate to you SuzieQ, Mom always used that little box for the holidays. Now no one in my family like it ! :( Not the same w/out it during the holidays.

Barb you come on over, you and I will mince ourselves silly!!!!!!

Aargh I'm so bummed now! It's my job to bring pie on Saturday, last time I brought mince to the inlaws they all thought I was nutty!!! I want to bring one alot! Oh well, will have to wait for xmas so my Dad can help me eat it.

Back
Top Bottom