Mince pies recipe needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYBrit

Senior Cook
Does anyone have an easy to use recipe for making mince pies? I don't mean the meat mince, I mean the fruit pies that are so traditional in Britain at Christmas time. I used to have them every year when I lived in England. Now I miss them. The store brands you get over here in the US don't taste the same at all. I'd like to have a go at making myself this year so any recipes would be gratefully received. Especially if they use shortcrust. My mum used to make the best mince pies years ago. She passed away, sadly, ten years ago and I never got the recipe from her. All I know is she made the most delicious flaky crumble in your mouth pastry. Thanks in advance. :chef:

Brit, to get the true taste you have to make your own mincemeat using beef suet about six months before you bake.
The pastry I use is sablee which melts in the mouth.
250g plain flour
200g butter cut into little bits and slightly softened
100g icing sugar
pinch of salt
2 egg yolks.:)

Today I just bought a jar of Crosse & Blackwell Rum & Brandy Mincemeat filling & topping for $7.38 for a 29oz ...............I think you would be happy with this brand.............lots of Pippin apples & raisins & spices
although I had trouble finding it at the grocery store...naturally I looked in and around the baking department........................the clerk found it tucked in next to marshmellows....Last place I would have thought to look.

Today I just bought a jar of Crosse & Blackwell Rum & Brandy Mincemeat filling & topping for $7.38 for a 29oz ...............I think you would be happy with this brand.............lots of Pippin apples & raisins & spices
although I had trouble finding it at the grocery store...naturally I looked in and around the baking department........................the clerk found it tucked in next to marshmellows....Last place I would have thought to look.

If it is an imported item, we woud find it in the International aisle. An aisle I never go to. Buy American.

I buy Crosse & Blackwell brand. Add a Granny Smith apple and 1/4 cup of brandy or bourbon or to taste.

Tastes great.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom